Tuesday, July 19, 2011

First, The Downs

Recently, we packed our bags, loaded the kids in the minivan, and drove due north for about 6 hours to Niagara Falls and Toronto.  It was a week of ups and downs, as any week will be when five people accustomed to comfort, routine, adequate personal space, and healthy meals will be when confined to a minivan/tiny hotel room, fed a steady diet of french fries, soda, and dessert, and afforded very little privacy or quiet time. 

Of course, I took my camera to record every single whine-filled, temper tantrum-infused, awe-inspiring moment…

First up is a picture of someone’s bottom (I’m sorry) after sitting in the car “foreveeeeerrrrr! Are we there yet? How much longer? Now how much longer? Uuuuggggghhhhh, I am so booooooored. Now how much longer? Stop it! Mom! He’s kicking my seat! Mom! He’s kicking my seat! Mom! Mom! Mom! Can we stop for lunch now? When? Stop kicking my seat! I want a drink. Are we there yet? My butt is starting to hurt.”

DSCF3969

This is a cute one of me getting out of the car at the hotel.

DSCF3989-1

Here is one of me after I bought 3 ice cream cones and a slushey and the jaunty teenager told me “That’ll be $21, eh?”

DSCF3933

This one shows me after a long day of exploring the Niagara Falls area and repeatedly restraining Jack from falling/jumping/slipping into the churning water.

DSCF3935

Dave and I felt a little … well, bloated after all the meals out.

DSCF3937

Here’s a photo showing what Dave and I did not get to do at all on this trip.

DSCF3995

That’s right.  Sunbathe ourselves to a lovely golden brown.

The next shows the last of the many times Jack asked if he could have that t-shirt/stuffed moose/souvenir clock/key chain/back scratcher/yo-yo/giant lollipop/pair of sunglasses/hockey puck/snow globe/marble statue of the falls and I told him “No, you already bought two stuffed animals and a raccoon tail, and that is enough, so for the last time, stop asking me or we will leave right now, mister!”DSCF4003

And finally, we were attacked by a vicious Tyrannosaurus Rex, which was completely unexpected and frightening, though Jack took it all in stride.  He is so very brave.

DSCF4063

Okay, so I got The Downs out of the way.  Next time, I will show you all of The Ups….and there were a lot.  It really was (mostly) a great week!  (Here’s a sneak preview!)

DSCF3834

No comments: