Friday, July 8, 2011

Jar of Rainbows

Last week the kids and I took a family craft class together.  The host was our local Splat Studio, but the evening was held outside of a local ice cream shop.

DSCF4423

The goal for the evening was to design and decoupage a cookie jar together, with a final reward of decorating (and eating) cookies for our jar. 

Maddie suggested a rainbow theme, we grabbed all of our supplies, picked out a table, and got started!

DSCF4411DSCF4418DSCF4414

Jack almost gave up a few times, and we all got very sticky hands!

DSCF4413

DSCF4420

Basically, we brushed on ModPodge, stuck on tissue paper, then painted on more ModPodge.  After about 45 minutes, with only a minor amount of whining from the boys, we had finished!

DSCF4422

Which meant it was (major hand washing and) COOKIE DECORATING TIME!

Although the instructor showed us some decorating techniques, our cookies mostly looked like squirted piles of…frosting.  Shiny, glittery, lumpy, red, white, and blue frosting piles.

DSCF4435DSCF4437DSCF4432

DSCF4438

So now comes the hard part.  The sensible mother in me should have had the kids eat a cookie and save the rest for later.  But the fun mom in me (she comes out every now and then) said, “Let’s get ice cream!”  And we saved those cookies for later.

Jack had cotton candy and strawberry.  Ben had mint chocolate chip and black cherry.  Maddie had pistachio and chocolate marshmallow.

DSCF4450DSCF4451DSCF4447

I didn’t have any.  I really really really wanted a scoop of the red velvet cake ice cream, but I didn’t have one.  I’d like to tell you it was because of my awesome self-control, but it was really because I had just enough cash to pay for three cones, and even then I was digging through my change and sweating profusely that I wouldn’t  have enough to pay the ice cream girl, so the kids would have had to dump their top scoops in the garbage can, and they’d be so embarrassed and be all, “Mooooom! I can’t believe you’d do this to us!” and Jack would be crying because the cotton candy was on top and he’d have to wave a sad goodbye to it as we head out the shop with our humiliated heads hanging low as all of the other patrons stare and point and why can’t I plan ahead or look in my wallet to see how much money I have before I go out in public?  But I did manage to scrape up enough money so that (thankfully)didn’t  happen, and everyone gave me a lick of theirs so I was (mostly) good.  Sigh.

When we got home, we placed our cookie jar on the window sill and it looked beautiful with the setting sun shining through it!

DSCF4460

Holy cow, my window is dirty.  Don’t look at that, just look at the pretty cookie jar.  Why are you scrolling back up?  I asked you not to look at the window.  Now that is just rude, people.  Geez.

A lovely, artful evening was had by all!

5 comments:

stephanie said...

I've always wanted to go to that ice cream shop. That happens to me all the time, in fact last night at Annie's I went without ice cream because of that exact same reason. Darn these places that only take cash!! Luckily I had my diet coke in the car, almost as good as ice cream. NOT!

My word is snutbuga, what a great word!

Deb said...

I thought you were going to say it was because you are afraid of me. But running out of money is an equally good reason.

Tara said...

How fun! I've never been to that ice cream shop; I'll have to add it to my list!

Wendy said...

Tell the kids the Cookie jar is beautiful! The same thing just happened to us at Rita's!

Crickit said...

What a great idea! It looks like lots of fun and eating was had by all! Great pics!