Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Bratty Brother, The Rock Star

I believe I’ve mentioned my bratty brother Dave to you.  Life was good until he came along.  It was just me and my parents for five happy years and then BOOM.  The intruder.

DSCF5151

Look at him laying there all smirky.  You just know he’s strategizing how to knock me off my throne or pest me in some way.

He really was a brat when we were kids.  He was an annoying pest.  He talked your doggone ear off.  He had a ton of girl admirers  drooling along behind him everywhere he went.  My mom won’t admit to this, but I think he was always her favorite.  No, really.  I know it’s hard to believe with perfect old me leading the way, but there you go.

As an adult, I really do like him.  But when we were kids?

BRAT.

The funny thing about my bratty brother Dave is that he was decidedly unmusical.  The rest of us were major music geeks.   Dave was surrounded by a family of choir directors, Barbershop quartet-ers, bell choir members, a flutist/violinist/trumpeter/tubaist (if that’s the word)/pianists/etc.  My extended family made up about 75% of our church choir.  But Dave was not in the choir, not in the band, and not doing anything musical, just folding his arms in a pouty stance and whining NO WAY JOSE.

In his late teens he taught himself to play the guitar.  And then he started to sing, and then he added in the harmonica.  At first he played little gigs like a business women’s luncheon and birthday parties, and I thought, “Well, that’s nice.  A little too late, but good for him.”

But he’s played for almost 20 years now, and besides playing acoustic guitar gigs he started a band awhile back called the Palm City Ramblers.  People pay actual money to hear him in real, valid, desirable venues!  They are great.  He is excellent.  And I really am so proud of him when I see him play.  His talent astounds me.

Yesterday, he and his PCR drummer, DJ, played at a local restaurant at noontime, so we were able to go and take the kids.  They’ve heard him before, but we were right up front, and they were mesmerized. 

DSCF5092

DSCF5097

DSCF5127

DSCF5130

It was a little loud for Jack.

The lovely Jamae was there of course.

DSCF5111DSCF5109

DSCF5117DSCF5134

DSCF5123

Ben, who started taking drum lessons last week, was especially interested.  Afterwards he went up to talk to Dave and DJ, who was kind enough to give Ben drumstick grip hints.  Ben was thrilled.

DSCF5145

101_0196

He’s a fun uncle, a responsible adult, a good husband, and a rock star now.  But he’ll always be my bratty Davy Baby Chicken and Gravy to me.

Just a little snippet.

3 comments:

Jemsmom said...

That is so cool! I know the kids loved it and I think it is neat to see how adult siblings become friends. As an only child I am so envious of the Brat phase and friendship phase! I always wanted a brat around! By the way, your husband has the bluest eyes!!!

Jen said...

You are getting more and more readers out there! You are famous- keep up the great posts...oh and I'll be keeping a close eye on you and Stephanie now!!!

stephanie said...

Thanks for the two shots of your husband's forearms!! Way to slip those in there! Am I the only one who noticed that??? Oh wait, this is a post about your brother.