Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Worm Massacre

My friend Jodi and I have been walking around our neighborhood most mornings. We chat.  We laugh.  We commiserate.  But today? We saved lives.

From yesterday into the overnight last night, we had a very heavy rain.  So heavy, in fact, that the rain flooded the worms from their earthy little homes and pushed them mercilessly onto the streets.  There were thousands of worms on the streets.  Some were smashed and some were already dried up, but many were waving their little heads at us, signaling, “Help us, kind ladies!” with their sweet little noggins.

First we walked carefully (and Jodi was pushing a stroller, so she drove carefully too).  Then we gave up on that because the street was littered with them.  After a few minutes, I admitted to Jodi that I really felt terrible about the worms, blindly writhing in agony on the macadam. 

She felt bad too.  We decided to save them.

picking it up

That’s right.  We picked up the worms and threw them back in the grass.

worm on grass

We are heroes, people.

Jodi wanted to name them.  I drew the line there, and said we mustn’t get too attached to them.

big one

But secretly, I named this one Mr. Longfellow.

Sometimes when you are busy saving lives, you become covered in gore and carnage.

on sneakercc9255381bc911e1abb01231381b65e3_7

                                         Jodi’s sneaker                                                                                                                                  Stroller wheel

Jodi sent me this one after she got home…seriously, how did the worms get up on her stroller? 

photo

I can’t help but think some of them leaped onto the stroller in a Hail Mary move to save their lives. 

After our walk, Jodi and I headed to our own houses with mixed feelings.  Happy that we had saved so many lives that day, but sad that so many lost souls were beyond help, and also maybe a little skeeved out at the slightly gummy, sticky feeling our fingers had taken on.

walking away

Farewell, good friend with the kind heart and gummy sticky fingers.  I’ll see you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jemsmom said...

Hail the conquering heroes! You are so flipping funny! I would walk with you in a heartbeat, but I don't know about picking up worms. I would probably do it though. I am that kind of friend. Only if you REALLY wanted me to. :-)

Kelsey Ann said...

aweee, yea i try to save them too. it's so gross when they are cut in pieces yet still moving and alive. BLECH! at least there are the good crusaders out there still trying to save them :)

xoxo

Tara said...

The girls and I saved a worm in the driveway last week. But we definitely did not actually touch with worm with our fingers!!! Ewww, gross! We used a stick! You went above and beyond!