Monday, December 12, 2011

Parade Time

Maddie and Jack were both in (separate) holiday parades this year!

First up is Maddie.  My dad conducts one of those little community bands made up mainly of older men.  He asked if Maddie might like to join his band for the parade, thinking it would be nice to give her a little experience with public playing.  She was actually a little hesitant to come out of her comfort zone and be in a band with a bunch of old dudes she didn’t know (except Grandpa), but when he told her that the band members got paid, she agreed!
dad
Here they are before the parade.  It reminded me so much of another photo my mom took of me and my dad before a similar parade 30 years ago.  We are both wearing white shirts and giant black bowties, and I am cringing with embarrassment,worrying who would see me in that parade wearing a giant black bowtie…but I can’t find it!  I’m glad Maddie is more mature than I was and is not cringing at all.

Here she is going by us:
maddie
The darn parade donation truck was going by at the exact same time, so this is the only picture I got without a red truck in front of her!

Then last weekend, this fella was in our local holiday parade:
jacj
                                                          My Tiger Scout…don’t you just love a man in uniform?

Here he is, marching with Dave!
DSCF7638
DSCF7639
DSCF7641
Bye, Handsome. 

Ben and his friend Nathan did their parts as Spectators and Candy Gatherers:
DSCF7629DSCF7645
And look!  There’s my friend Kris!
DSCF7636
What a great way to kick off the holiday season!

2 comments:

Crickit said...

This looks like such a fun day!! :)

What a fun experience for your daughter too.

Jemsmom said...

So fun! I love the picture of the people sitting on the roof! Did Maddie have a good time when it was all said and done? What fun thing for her to do and to have a special memory with Grandpa.