Thursday, December 8, 2011

Peppermint Meringues

Every Halloween I make my Boo Meringues for our neighborhood Halloween party, and this year I decided to try to adapt that recipe into a Christmas meringue.
DSCF7680
I figured I’d add some crushed Starlight Mints, crushed by my Right Hand Man/Destroyer-of-All-Things-in-The-House-Guy who took to the task with relish.

photo source
No.  Not that kind of relish.
DSCF7685
DSCF7687
In hindsight, some of those pieces are too big.  They didn’t pipe through the bag very well.  Crush yours finer than we did!

Then I made my regular meringue recipe, but substituted peppermint extract for the vanilla and mixed in the crushed mints and then added some green food coloring.
DSCF7695
Bad picture….I took this at night in low light, and now they’ve all been eaten and I can’t take another.  Boo.

However, I wish I had either added more green or just left them white.  They look a little…sickly.  But they do taste great!

Peppermint Meringues
3 large egg whites
1/2 t. cream of tartar
1/2 c. granulated sugar (I lowered the sugar from the original recipe because I count the sugar from the crushed mints)
1/2 t. peppermint extract
about 20 crushed Starlight Mints
green food coloring…maybe

-Line baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 200 degrees.
-In a metal bowl, with mixer at high speed, whip egg whites with cream of tartar to a thick foam.  Continue to beat and add sugar 1 tablespoon every 30 seconds, then whip until meringue  holds very stiff peaks.
-Beat in peppermint extract and crushed starlight mints (and maybe green food coloring!).
-Spoon meringue into a gallon sized ziploc bag and cut off a corner.  Pipe meringue onto cookie sheets into “kiss” shapes, set fairly close together, they will not expand when they bake.
-Bake at 200 degrees for 1 1/4 hours, then turn off the oven, but leave meringues inside for an additional hour.  Remove, allow to cool, then slide off with a spatula.  Enjoy!

I'm linking this recipe with other great recipes at Foodie Friday.  Check it out!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Do you take orders? These look delicious!