Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day at Bethany Beach, pt. 1

Last weekend our friends the Keck’s invited us and another family to join them at their beach house.  We were thrilled to say the least!  The Keck’s are truly the perfect hosts, laid back, yet willing to do anything you ask of them, always smiling and accommodating, and kind and gracious. 

Because it was Memorial Day weekend, the usual 4 hour trip to Bethany Beach took closer to 5 1/2 hours.  We watched three movies, and ate Twizzlers and stopped at Subway, and also it may have helped the ride a little that we were excited about our vacation and that Maddie rode to the beach with the Keck’s (less chance for arguing among the natives).   Dave and I had a little shouting match at one point (which we normally tend to not do in front of the kids) because it was my turn to drive and

a) he kept giving me “helpful” driving advice

b)  he told me to get into the left lane to turn left, and then he realized we were really supposed to go straight so suggested I ease myself, in the busy traffic, back into the center lane, the idea of which freaked me out as it meant I’d hold up the people who were behind me who wanted to turn left and would make the people in the lane I wanted to get into mad, so I just wanted to turn left, make a u-turn in a parking lot and get back onto the correct lane, but Mr. BossyPants would have none of that, oh no, and he badgered me until I got into the center lane, and it all turned out okay, but as previously mentioned, tempers were flaring and words were flying and drivers were freaking out and shortly after that Dave pulled his cap down over his face and pretended to take a nap.  And all was right with the world.

When we got to the beach house, we both enjoyed nice big grown-up drinks.

The Keck’s have a canal right behind their house, so we always enjoy kayaking and crabbing when we’re there. 

DSCF9644

DSCF9660

At one point, the dads took Jack and Katie S. (by the way, we had 10 children among us, and we must all like the same names, because we had two Katies, two Maddies, and two Ellies!  Also a Claire, Abbie, Jack and Ben.  It got a little confusing at times!) out on the kayaks to the bay.  They came home with a nice collection of crabs which we boiled up and ate with our dinner!

DSCF9746dave and dane

The crab on the left is silently cursing Jack.  The crab on the right is pinching Dave and trying to escape! 

The Keck’s house is a very short walk to the beach.  Normally, when we head to the beach every summer with Dave’s family, we lounge around in the sun reading all day, but with ten kids and 5 active adults (I am not including myself in that count) there was a lot of activity on the beach.  Paddleball:

DSCF9732DSCF9871

Football:

DSCF9716DSCF9739

Baseball:

DSCF9877DSCF9902

And lots of sand castles, including an awesome Shell Mosaic Castle and several Drippy Castles:

DSCF9803DSCF9834

DSCF9824

And for now, I’m going to call it a night as I’m feeling tired and crabby.  Enjoy this bonus picture of the kids, and I’ll see you back here on Thursday for Pt. 2.

DSCF9729

Ben, Katie K., Maddie S., Katie S., Ellie K., Abbie, Jack, Claire, Maddie W., and Ellie S.

2 comments:

Tara said...

LUCKY!(said in a Napoleon voice)I want friends who have a beach house with a canal behind them and a short walk to the beach! Looks like a fun weekend, but I would've included myself in the non-active group as well, since I would much prefer to watch all those beach sports instead of performing them. Which might explain why my shorts don't fit. Looking forward to part 2!

Carol said...

Beth,
Thanks so much for capturing so well a great weekend with great friends! I think I'll print out this post for my kids since their mom is too lame to do such a creative thing!
Carol