Monday, May 14, 2012

What a Mother REALLY Wants on Mother’s Day

Happy Belated Mother’s Day to you!  My day was very nice as usual.  Ben and Maddie didn’t make anything in school for me this year (booo) but Dave had them make nice cards, and Jack went crazy.  He brought home several lovely handmade things from school and wrapped them all himself, and then drew a few more pictures which he also wrapped himself.  Jack himself decided on my non-handmade present after seeing a commercial for one.  He was actually sitting on my lap when the commercial came on, and when it was over, he told me, “Mom!  I know what to get you for Mother’s Day!  I have to call Dad!” (who was out of town).

So I knew what I’d probably be getting.  Silly boy.

Dave needed some convincing though, as this gift was neither cheap nor terribly useful, but Jack just knew I would love it.  Every time Dave called last week, Jack excitedly asked him, “Did you research it yet?  Have you ordered it yet? Mom is just going to love it!”  Finally Dave caved, and the decision was made.  They ordered it and picked it up in Harrisburg on Saturday, and I pretended not to see it sitting in the garage fridge until Sunday.

Jack couldn’t wait for me to wake up and get this gift (and since I didn’t take a photo, here’s one from the website):

t_VeryLovCeleb_HD_HBCont_E133

It’s a truly lovely gift, but what means more to me is that Jack felt so strongly about it and campaigned so vigorously for it.  I can’t tell you how much more happy that made me than the gift itself.

And then a few hours later the kids were driving me so crazy bickering with each other I said, “ALL I REALLY WANT ON MOTHER’S DAY IS TO HAVE YOU THREE BE NICE TO EACH OTHER FOR A CHANGE!  IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK???”  Sigh. And then the mother guilt arrived.  But it got me thinking about what a Mother Really Wants on Mother’s Day (Or Any Day For That Matter).  And here’s what I came up with:

1.  All the children speak nicely to each other, compromise on all matters, stand up for each other against enemies, and never, ever argue over stupid stuff like I Was Sitting In That Chair First, I Want to Watch Victorious -No I Want to Watch SpongeBob- No I Get the TV For Wii Right Now, or Mom He Just Coughed in My Face again.

2.  Children will not pester the Mother by following her around and jumping on the bed when she’s in the bedroom, and running the water in the tub when she’s in the bathroom, and rearranging the cupboard shelves when she’s in the kitchen and pushing the recliner chair open and shut when she’s sitting on said recliner in the living room.

3.  When the Mother asks children to do something like set the table, they respond, “Certainly, Mother!” instead of whining “Aaaaaaaoooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeee. Wah, wah, wah.  I’m tiiiiired.”

4.  Foot rubs would be nice.

5. Ditto hand rubs.

6. Shoes in the Shoe Drawers, Coats on the Coat Hooks, Backpacks Under the Dryer, Homework Done, House Jobs Done, Instruments Practiced all with no more than a “How-de-doo” from the Mother.  (I don’t know what a How-de-doo is but I know I’d like to do no more than that). 

7.  At bedtime, the children announce, “Oh, goodness!  It’s bedtime!”  Then they head upstairs, brush their teeth, pajama themselves, empty their bladders one last time, then hop into their beds, each with a good book until I arrive to tuck them in.

Ah.  It sounds so pleasant.  Almost as perfect as a fruit bouquet, I tell you.

2 comments:

ichi-ban critic said...

These are your "golden years", enjoy them!

Tara said...

I love the fruit bouquet! Great job, Jack! Oh, and get used to the golden years comments, b/c ichi-ban tells me that all the time. Happy Belated Mother's Day to you!