Thursday, May 3, 2012

Variety Hour!

Do you remember The Donny and Marie Show?  I loved that show!  I watched it every week when I was about Maddie’s age, and my parents even bought me an 8 track tape of  The Best of Donny and Marie, which I listened to over and over again. [My bratty brother Dave surprised me at Christmas last year with the same album in CD form!  I play it in the car occasionally, and Maddie likes it (or pretends to ) but Dave and the boys groan.  They have no sense of cheesy music appreciation, I tell you.]

Today’s post will be like The Donny and Marie Show.  A little bit of this, a little bit of that, a little bit country, a little bit of rock ‘n’ roll.  There will be no ice skating extravaganza, however, I’m sorry if you’re disappointed.

I may not have ice skating, but I do have an interesting cactus growing on my windowsill…

cactus

                                                           It’s a very manly cactus, if I must say so myself.

One of you told me that your Google Reader is no longer letting you know when I have published a new blogpost, which I guess means you will all need to just check in occasionally to see if there’s anything new.  Sorry about that.  I’m sure this is something of a pain. I usually post on Monday-Wednesday-Friday or on Monday-Thursday if it’s a slow week, if that helps. 

This has been a crazy busy week.  We have three sports going on right now (practices/games every night of the week), plus two band concerts this week, an ortho appointment, a haircut (Ben’s!  Hallelujah!), envirothon meetings, and since it’s May, I’m subbing more than usual (funny how teachers get sick in May instead of October…)  Throw in a jazz band rehearsal, piano lessons, and the school art show, and there you have it.  Probably no busier than most of you this time of year.    On Monday, Maddie and I forgot she had an extra Jazz Band practice before school and we woke up to the sound of a honking horn from her ride.    Yesterday, Ben called me after he got to school to say he forgot his lunch (which really means I forgot his lunch, since I always stick it in his backpack after I pack it.)  The weird thing was I remembered putting  it  in his backpack and I couldn’t find it anywhere!  I called school and had them check Jack’s backpack, and sure enough, there it was.  May is just nutty.  And (yes, Dave) I need to get more organized.

Last week Ben had a baseball game, but unfortunately his shirt was still in the dryer when it was time for him to head to the game.  Dave took him since they needed to be there a half hour early, and Maddie, Jack and I came at game time with the shirt pulled right from the dryer.  Unfortunately, it still wasn’t quite dry so we put the heaters on full blast to finish the shirt off.

shirt

                                                                                    It didn’t work, if you’re wondering.

Ben is so excited he got to be #8!  Eight is his lucky number since he was born on August 8 (8/8) and weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces. 

Jack won a frisbee at our church’s Easter egg hunt, and a few weeks ago we decided to test it out.  As we were playing, I got the brilliant idea of having one of the kids throw it to me while I snapped a picture.  I was thinking it would be so cool if I got a shot of the frisbee right before it got to me.  Unfortunately, I didn’t time the first few tries very well and then this one…

frisbee

…hit me square in the forehead.  Oh yes.  They got a good laugh at my expense, which seems to be happening a lot lately.  Just when did I turn into my mother?

The bunnies are back.  They ate all of the sugar snap peas I planted back in March, though no one likes sugar snap peas except me, so the disappointment level is MILD to say the least.  Lately we’ve been catching them in the flower pots! 

DSCF9177

DSCF9180

Both photos taken through windows.

Last year I found a nest of dead baby bunnies in one of the pots, so it’s possible a mother bunny might be building a nest, but the bunny above doesn’t look pregnant.  I think he’s showing off for the ladies.

DSCF9168I tried Corners of My Life’s recipe for Pepper Ring Beef!  It was easy and delicious!  I put a roast in the crockpot in the morning and dumped a whole jar of mild pepper rings on it (Mary at CoML also puts garlic in hers but I skipped that step because of the picky children).  I cooked it on low all day and then shredded the beef and the peppers that night and served it on buns.  I really thought the peppers might bring some opposition from the kids but they LOVED  it! 

Speaking of suppers, I bought a spiral sliced ham at Easter because they are so darn cheap at Easter and delicious, so the week after Easter we had ham in a different form every single night.  Ham sandwiches, Ham/Green Beans/Potatoes, Ham and Cheese Quiche, etc.  The next week, Dave decided to take over the menu board…

DSCF9138

But can you believe I snuck ham loaf in on Tuesday? That’s why Maddie crossed out the NOT and wrote “ya liar” next to it.  No one likes ham loaf except me, so they were about as thrilled with this as they are about sugar snap peas in the garden and Donny and Marie in the CD player. 

Jack brought home a note from school telling me that someone in his class was found to have head lice.  I asked Jack if the nurse checked his head, and his response was, “Yes!  And guess what!  Someone does have bugs in her hair and she sits next to me!”  He was actually quite honored to have the seat next to her.  Please keep your fingers crossed or pray for us or throw a penny in the fountain and make a wish that Jack does not contract head lice.  Ugh.

Have a great weekend, everyone!  May tomorrow be a perfect day!  May you find love and laughter along the way…

4 comments:

Tara said...

Donny and Marie! When I was little (I'm extra-large now), I thought they were boyfriend/girlfriend. I had the Donny and Marie barbie dolls, and I made them be boyfriend and girlfriend too,if ya know what I mean.

I don't know what Google Reader is, even though Wendy has explained it to me before. And I'm too lazy to Google "google reader". I've always had to come to your blog site, every day, sometimes every hour of every day, to see if there is an update. I imagine I am throwing your stats way off. And then one day I noticed that little scroll on the right that keeps track of where people are clicking from, and I imagined that you knew most of the Hershey clicks were from me and you got super worried because I have a history of stalking. I get my paranoia from my Mother, who also reported to me that she thought you knew how often she signed on because she is from Scottdale and not many people are. Common sense would dictate that you are not sitting at your computer monitoring each and every town. Also, my mother,sister and niece were all lurker readers of your blog who liked to remain anonymous and they are now pouting because they can't access your blog anymore. I told them they should've asked for the secret password when you gave everybody the chance, but they like to remain anonymous and secretive; maybe that's where I get it?

The next time you have ham for dinner all week, please invite me over, as I love ham and all pig products. I'd also like to be invited over for that pepper beef.

I hope there is no lice in your future.

Deb said...

OK, first of all, I'm thinking Miss Doe should have viewed the photo of your manly cactus before she decided to take the new job of hers. Unfortunately I'm commenting after her so she'll never know of my concern.

Secondly, maybe Ben should wrap Jack up in all his 8 stuff before you send him off to school -- he could use a little luck with that lice thing. Booo.

c) WTF with that bunny in your pot! Bunnies are evil.

IV) I'm still looking for my turkey burger if that makes you feel any better about Ben's lunch.

I'm outta here, ya liar. Snort.

ichi-ban critic said...

Hooray! I got invited to your blog for my Mother's Day gift (I've been told). What a wonderful gift; I've been missing the escapades of Herbie and the children. Just caught up on everything I missed and enjoyed every minute of it. Now that I am no longer a lurker I will be commenting regularly.

stephanie said...

Would you kindly let your friends who have access to this wonderful blog know by means of some secret word on Facebook that you have a new post. Look how many days behind I am!!

That is a very interesting cactus indeed. That "50 Shades" has messed you up girlfriend!!