Monday, December 31, 2012

December Instagram

IMG_4618

Swim season started again!  Maddie’s been training hard and it’s paid off:   she’s really been dropping seconds from her times (she’s wearing the orange cap in the photo above).  The first meet of the year, however, was TORTURE.  The temperature in the pool area is always set high, and the humidity is up there too, but there was something wrong at this meet.  I think the temperature inside that room was easily 100 degrees.  When someone opened the outside door (can you see it in the photo above…right across the pool?) the cool air streamed in and steam immediately rose from the pool.  And check out the sweat dripping off of these two kiddos:

IMG_4617

We’re hoping they’ve got that fixed for this Saturday’s meet.

We did all of our usual Christmas traditions:  cookie baking/decorating, gingerbread house decorating, tree trimming, stocking hanging, etc.  But apparently I only took a few (instagram) pictures of all of it.  I’m losing my touch, people.

IMG_0047IMG_0046IMG_4597

I did take pictures of our trip to pick out a Christmas tree:

IMG_4574IMG_4572IMG_4571

Although it’s less about the tree and more about my children.  Sorry about that.  We did pick out a good one, you’re just going to have to trust me on that.

We attended three Christmas concerts:  Maddie’s band and orchestra concerts and Ben’s band concert.

IMG_4607IMG_4633

We loved both band concerts, but I have to admit I’m so glad none of my kids have wanted to take up a string instrument.  That orchestra concert was a long hour and a half, I tell you. 

It snowed!  I love the first snow, and I especially love it now that the kids can get themselves dressed to go out in the snow.

IMG_0043IMG_0045

Doesn’t this guy look cozy?  I’d like to say Jack sits and reads all the time, but that is not the case.  He was reading his baggie book (homework reading), and the minute he finished, he snapped that book shut and headed for his Playmobil. 

IMG_4627

My poor mother-in-law celebrates both of her major life events in one week.  Her birthday is New Year’s Eve and her wedding anniversary is Dec. 28.  (Also, Dave tells me that Mother’s Day was always the weekend they moved back home from college so it largely got ignored for many years).  Anyway, the whole family usually gets together to celebrate their anniversary, and this year they celebrated their 49th!

IMG_4689

                                                                 Aren’t they cute?

My sister-in-law Sue hosted the celebration, so we got to spend the evening with their giant dog, Rocco.  I don’t know what kind of dog he is, but GARGANTUAN  is the word that comes to mind.  Rocco seemed to fall in love with my brother-in-law’s fiance the night we were there.  Whenever a chair opened up next to her, he tried to climb onto it! Seriously, it happened at least 7-8 times!

IMG_0048

Can you see how big his head is compared to Nicole’s?  She was such a good sport, too.  I’d have been way less gracious.

Maddie and I went to see this movie:

IMG_4693

It was EXCELLENT.  My only advice…take your kleenex, people. It’s a sad one. Now, I cry at movies all the time, but Maddie, whose heart is apparently made of stone, never does.  And then she usually makes fun of me.  However, this one made her cry.  A lot.  The end was so darn emotional that my face was screwed up all funny and my body shook as I tried to control the sob that wanted to escape from me. Thank goodness movies theatres are dark, because I’m sure I was quite a sight.  Seriously, you need to see this movie (not for children though…too long for the little ones, and there is a tad bit of sex).

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Crickit said...

Happy New Year Beth! It looks like December was a full month for you and your family! Thanks for sharing your pics. My daughter was on a swim team when she was young. I loved all of the meets.. it was nerve-wracking but also lots of fun! :)

Wendy said...

Awe...Maddie and I would have went with you and your Maddie. It is on our list. Thanks for the review....I will pack lots of tissues!