Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day Trippin’ with Ducks

One of the things on our Summer To-Do list was to spend a day in the town of Lititz.  We usually go with a bunch of moms and an even bigger bunch of kids toward the end of summer but this year…I was offered a job teaching morning kindergarten in a local school district.  I found out last week, I have in-service all this week, and then school begins.  I had one day to squeeze in a trip and couldn’t find a single other person available on such short notice.  I was able to talk my friend Trudy into loaning me two of her boys for the day, so we weren’t completely alone!

First we fed the ducks in the park.  I had been saving up bread in the freezer all year for this!

2010_0819lititz0061

2010_0819lititz0081

The kids thought the duck on the rock below was the president of all the ducks.  He does look pretty important, doesn’t he?

2010_0819lititz0226

Then we headed to the playground where the kids mostly played tag.

2010_0819lititz0120

2010_0819lititz0146

2010_0819lititz0139

Next, we headed for the Sturgis Pretzel Factory, which is about a quarter mile walk along a quaint, sweetly picturesque street.

2010_0819lititz0175

2010_0819lititz0174

2010_0819lititz0211

We made it!

2010_0819lititz0176

Inside we tried samples of chocolate, cinnamon, and spicy cheese pretzels while we waited for the tour. 

Finally, we were allowed in the first room where we line up along the table to make our own pretzels.

2010_0819lititz0183

2010_0819lititz0190

2010_0819lititz0193

Then Jack and Sammy got to help pretend to put the pretzels in the oven (we don’t get to keep and eat the ones we made).

2010_0819lititz0197

And after the tour we each received a bag of these, just in time to give us energy for the walk to our next stop:

2010_0819lititz0202

Next we headed for the Wilbur Chocolate Factory.  This is more of a store and less of a tour, though there is a small candy museum inside, but it’s always our last stop, every year.  Plus, who can resist free samples of Wilbur Buds (like Hershey Kisses, but creamier!)

2010_0819lititz0214

2010_0819lititz0217

Back to the park, where we enjoyed some of the candy we bought!

2010_0819lititz0224

Then we headed to the car where we scraped the duck poop off of our shoes and collapsed into the air conditioning.  I’m so glad we got this day trip in.  It truly is one of our favorite summer traditions!

8 comments:

Maria M. Boyer said...

Permanent position or long-term sub? CONGRATS either way! We had fun at Wilbur earlier in the summer, at your suggestion. Next year, we'll have to get to the pretzel factory as well.

Wendy said...

Love Lititz and Wilber Buds. Could eat a whole bag alone!! Looks like a great day. Congrats on the new job!
Wendy

Jen said...

what a great day to do that- you're such a good mommy! I'm sure Trudy had a hard time say goodbye to her boys!!haha I need to keep that in mind for next year-

Karen said...

We have never been to Litiz but will definately be adding it to our list. It looks like you had a great day! And congrats on your teaching position!

Ellie said...

We are very bummmed we missed it this year! It looks like you had fun. Congrats on your teaching job!

corners of my life said...

I wish you the best on your kindergarten job. I taught kindergarten for 20+ years and loved every minute of it. Your experience as a mom will surely help. Have you taught other grade levels before?

Deb said...

Beth! Great news on the job!!! Congrats to you.

In all these years, I've never been to Lititz, and now I'm thinking I just might have to go. I've had plenty of Wilbur Buds in my lifetime, however, thankyouverymuch.

Tani R. Miller said...

You should call me when you come to my town!

Tani