Monday, August 30, 2010

The Bus

Because Jack and I will both be starting kindergarten on the same day this year (today!), I will miss the kids’ first day of school preparations.  I am going to have to trust Dave to see that the outfits I lay out get put on, that Maddie’s hair gets brushed, that no one forgets a shiny, new backpack, and that First Day of School Pictures are taken.  Mostly I am sad to be missing all of these things, all of the excitement and anticipation of the First Day.

But I am glad that I will not be there to see the kids get on the bus.

2010_0827lititz0019

I don’t know what it is about The Bus that clenches me with anxiety, maybe it’s my own bad school bus experiences as a teen, maybe it’s knowing they are sitting mostly unsupervised with unknown kids learning interesting new words and topics I would not normally be sharing with them, and maybe it’s the symbolic ripping-my-child-from-my-arms-and-taking-them-into-the-deep-dark-world without me that gets to me.

When Maddie got on the bus in kindergarten, I held it together until I made it back to my house and then I sobbed for ten minutes. 

2010_0827lititz0016

On Friday I took the kids to our school’s Open House where we met their teachers and inspected their classrooms, reunited with old friends and smiled at the new kids, and tried to mentally resign ourselves to the fact that summer was pretty much tiptoe-ing out the back door whereas school was sneaking up, ready to pounce on us, to drag us kicking and screaming into the chalk dust.

Just as we were about to leave we heard the announcement that a school bus was in the front driveway for anyone wishing to ride it.  Jack was excited.  Maddie was ambivalent.  Ben was annoyed.  And so we went.

It was easy to pick out the kindergartners.

2010_0827lititz0003

2010_0827lititz0006 2010_0827lititz0007

And then there was Mr. Annoyed:

2010_0827lititz0013

The bus ride, of course, is meant to calm any fears the kindergartners may have about riding the bus, but these kids didn’t seem to need any comforting.

2010_0827lititz0005 2010_0827lititz0011

The ride was too short for Jack.

2010_0827lititz0020

It was over pretty quickly and we headed down those huge steps and went home.  I’m sure all the kindergartners on the bus left feeling excited about their new adventure.

I just wish it worked as well for moms.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Happy First Day or Kindergarten, Beth! We can't wait to hear all about it. Hope your teacher ... oh, wait. :-)

Crickit said...

I hope your day of "firsts" goes well... your Kindergarten teaching job and your son's first day of Kindergarten. :)

corners of my life said...

Good luck to Jack as he starts this new life adventure. It will be special that you can share the experience with him as you both start kindergarten. I look forward to reading more about it.