Friday, May 13, 2011

Happy Place

Do you have a happy place?  I have three:  my bed, which makes me deliriously happy every night when I collapse into it, the beach, and this place:

2011_0507freys5k0003

I can’t wait to go every spring.  I plan my flower pots, my garden beds, and my veggie purchases ahead of time, and then I head there and try to keep to my list.  But it’s hard!  My mom came with me this year.  Do you see her in the picture below?

2011_0507freys5k0011

2011_0507freys5k00072011_0507freys5k00092011_0507freys5k0006

2011_0507freys5k0013

And then comes the fun part.  Jack helped me till the vegetable garden soil and then (after a minor tussle over wearing gardening gloves-he didn’t want to walk to the garage to get them, and I said he wasn’t helping until he did) he helped me plant each and every vegetable into the ground.  I definitely have a future gardener here!

The rest of the planting I did when he was at kindergarten, because there’s a lot to do, and I can get it done quite a bit faster without my little helper.

We have a lot of these stinkers running around:

2011_0423spring20009

“Hey lady.  Plant me some petunias. Yo.”                                    

Yes, they love petunias:

2011_0514spring400382011_0514spring40037

                                           Before                                                                                                                                     After

I squirted some rabbit repellant on all my petunias last night.  Let’s hope it works.

Now that the planting is all done (pout) and I’ve edged all the flower beds and now this is waiting for me:

2011_0514spring40036

Mulch does not picture in my happy place at all.  I absolutely hate mulching and I am going to try to get it done as quickly as possible.  It makes me itchy and stinky and I hate it.  And that quickly I’ve gone from my happy place to h-e-double hockey sticks.

 

2011_0507freys5k0017

Deep calming breaths, eyes closed, back in my happy place.  

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

3 comments:

Jemsmom said...

I just wander through the flower section. I love it, but I am a serial plant killer. It is true. Tom says that if you listen carefully, you can hear the plants screaming, "Noooooo... don't pick me!" when I come into the store. But I do wander and enjoy. I wish you would come here and tell me what to plant!

Deb said...

Nope. Won't work. Also doesn't work: blood, hair, dog hair, coyote urine, dog urine, fox urine, Chase urine, bone meal, Liquid Fence, crazy lady with a broom.

Sorry. But you just planted breakfast.

Happy scratching!

Crickit said...

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES! Hopefully your mulching duty won't take you as long as you think! Can't wait to see everything all done!