Saturday, May 21, 2011

Backyard Jungle

What is Jack looking at?

2011_0521spring50006

Let’s look a little bit closer.

2011_0521spring50008

A baby bunny!  A lettuce-eater-in-training right under my lavender plant!

Make that two baby bunnies!

2011_0521spring50013

This nest is right under our living room window.  We can watch the babies from the comfort of our sofa.

2011_0521spring50037

We also have ducks.  I hate ducks.  Ducks poop a lot:  big, numerous, dirty piles of it.  There are two males and a female who have been hanging around my pool for the last week or so.

2011_0521spring50034

(And doesn’t that mulch look awesome??)

When we spot them, the person closest to the pool runs out and scares them away.  The kids love to do this.  Often, I am the only one home.  My strategy is to walk outside and clap my hands.  If that doesn’t work, I chase them and yell, “Scoot! Scoot!”  I’m sure it’s real entertainment for the neighbors.  Here is Jack on Duck Patrol:

2011_0521spring50035

Finally, the snake:

2011_0521spring50015

I hate snakes.  But this one’s name is Darth Snaker, and he’s been our beloved Bunny WatchSnake for 3 years running.  He’s a rubber snake, people, and I put him in with the lettuce in an effort to keep the bunnies at bay, but I am telling you, every time I go out to check my garden’s progress, I see him and jump, squeak, and nearly poop my pants until I remember it’s just Darth Snaker.

2011_0521spring50017

Every time.

There are also a bunch of moles running around but thankfully I have no pictures for you.

Lately we’ve been seeing a bald eagle hanging around the field behind our houses, which is very unusual and very cool!  I hope he’s keeping a sharp lookout for those creepy moles, but leaves the baby bunnies and Darth Snaker alone.

2011_0327sciexperiment00322011_0327sciexperiment0023

We’ve also got a monkey.

2011_0514spring40006

He’s curious, bouncy, loves to swing, and sometimes he smells pretty bad. 

4 comments:

Wendy said...

You can send your ducks to our pond and we have a baby snake if you would like one to scare the bunnies :) We have no bunnies...only deer...who I no longer enjoy!
Have you ever seen the wooden cut outs of dogs by the ponds in Lancaster? I want to copy those to scare away the geese...if I get my act together should I cut out two...one for me and one for you to scare away the ducks?
Wendy

corners of my life said...

I am hopeful that the snake works. If not I could loan you my cat.
http://cornersofmylife.blogspot.com/2010/07/more-stalking_18.html

Jen said...

He needs to hang with Tyson if he smells pretty bad- They can compare!

Jemsmom said...

I am soooo jealous of your pool, but I think the duck swimming in it is hilarious!!! Darth Snaker... you crack me up! I had two glasses of wine the other night on my neighbor's porch and no dinner. All this lead me to believe that I was the Crocodile Hunter and actually picked up a little snake by the tail and carried him down the street and slung him in the pond. What the heck was I thinking?!? I knew he wasn't poisonous and I didn't want Tom to chop him into a thousand pieces (which is his gut reaction!), but I didn't want him going into my garage. I did it. I am stupid. Won't do that again!!!