Sunday, May 29, 2011

Q & A With Beth II

A long time ago I did a Q&A session for my many several  numerous smattering of fans, and it was so successful (four whole comments!  Woo hoo!) I’ve decided to do it again. 

Q:  The last day of school is drawing near.  How will you celebrate?

A:  Normally I would lock myself in my closet and yell  “Mommy’s not here!  Go back to school!  Let me know when it’s August 28! And bring me a Diet Coke and some goldfish crackers!” but this year Maddie will be “graduating” from 5th grade so I will need to personally acknowledge the day.  Seriously, I am looking forward to the end of homework, early mornings, and all the rush-rush-rush involved with the school year, and I love to take the kids fun places and do fun things, but by about mid-July I am so ready to have my blissfully quiet house back.  It’s the fighting that gets to me.  The fighting and the whining and the eye-rolling and the constant need for mom’s attention (“Mom!  Watch me do this cannonball!”) or help (“Can I have a drink/popsicle/lunch/ride to…”) or arbitration (“She’s been on the computer for an hour!  When is it my turn??”)  I know a lot of moms who are so happy when school is over, just thrilled to have their kids back 24/7.  I’m not sure if they’re not being honest with everyone or just mentally deficient in some way, but I refuse to feel badly about this.  I love my children, but I do need time away from them.  And in the summer…that just rarely happens.

Q:  Brownies or cupcakes?

A:  Oooh!  Cupcakes, definitely!  Or maybe brownies.

Q:  How are the baby bunnies?

A:  They are eating my zinnias, my black eyed susans, my petunias, and my pepper plant.  They are definitely not so cute any more. 

2011_0529baseballrhubarb0043

(bad photo taken through window and screen, bad bunny still greatly evident)

Q:  Who would play you in a movie version of your life?

A:  I have been told that I look like both Elisabeth Shue and Madeline Kahn.  Seriously, what?  I suppose if I were to choose someone who truly bears a resemblance to me and could pull off my sharp wit, smooth physical moves, and tight and fit body, it would have to be either Angelina Jolie or possibly Woody Allen.

Q:  What did you think of the last five books you read?

A:  Once Upon a Time There was You by Elizabeth Berg~  loved it!  Elizabeth Berg knows how to write characters.  Her books involve very a simple story line, but you finish with an in-depth knowledge and understanding of her characters. 

     Mini-Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella~  loved it, super funny, easy beach read…if you’ve read and loved the other Shopaholic books, you will love this one.  And if you haven’t read the other Shopaholic books, get started already!

     Mr. Darcy: Vampire by Amanda Grange~ okay, this is a weird one.  Grange continued Pride and Prejudice where Austen left off, except that…Mr. Darcy turns out to be a vampire!  Ha!  I could not read all the silly vampire literature out there every day, but it’s a funny, entertaining thing to read every once in awhile!

     Everything Matters! by Ron Currie, Jr.~ It sounds like a self-help book, but it’s not.  This is very unique fiction.  The protagonist of the novel is (we find out) the 4th smartest person ever in the history of the universe.  And he knows that the world is going to end on a certain date.  The book counts down backwards from his time in utero until the actual day.  It was such a neat premise that I gave it to Dave to read, and he read it and liked it (though not as much as me) and we had our own little book club meeting.  This book has a lot of levels to it, but it is a mostly easy read.  The main question, how can anything really matter…studying hard in school, having children, saving for retirement, etc…. when you know the world is going to end in your lifetime, is thoroughly explored.  The book gives the reader a lot to think about!

     Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner~ this is Weiner’s newest novel, and she didn’t disappoint.  The topic was something that’s been in the news lately…the wife of a senator discovers he’s cheating in a very public and embarrassing way.  We follow along as she and her grown daughters deal with the fallout from his philandering.

     The Widower’s Tale by Julia Glass ~ this one was for book club, and I loved it:  a very long, detailed story line with lots of  story branches that converge eventually, witty, well-written, believable characters.  Maybe not a mindless beach read, but certainly not a difficult book to get through.

Okay, that was six books.  So sue me.

Q:  How is your diet coming along?

A:  Well, Deb and I have been pretty much neck-and-neck through this one.  Our last official day of Biggest Loser:  Blogger Edition (although neither of us is where we want to be and we’re going to continue to be Diet Buddies) is on June 8.  As of now, I have lost 7% of my body weight.  I am down a size, almost two sizes, and people have begun to notice and have even made nice comments which helps my motivation a lot.  I still have a long way to go, but I’m feeling good.  Tune in on or around June 8 for the nail-biting-cliff-hanging-edge-of-your-seat finale!  I hope Jillian doesn’t make me cry!

Q:  Were you named after anyone?

A:  Yes, I was named after both grandmothers, Elizabeth and Jessie (hence my name, Elizabeth Jessie).  I really love my name, and only wish my parents hadn’t started calling me Beth when I was little.  When I went to college I switched to Liz, and some people, knowing I like the name Elizabeth, actually do call me that, but I think I’ll pretty much be a Beth forever.  My parents almost named me Stephanie Jane, by the way.

Q:  What super power would you like to have?

A:  Hmmm.  I would like to be able to wiggle my nose like Samantha on Bewitched and clean up the house, or get my husband’s client to buy his products, or call the kooky Dr. Bombay to solve any medical questions I’d have.  Although that may not officially be a super power.  So I guess I’ll go with mind reading.  Or invisibility.  Ooh!  Flying!  No.  I have it.  I’d want supermaetabolism!  “Who can eat an entire pizza and not gain a pound?  Who can spread real butter on her roll, and then have seconds?  Who can sneak all of the KitKats out of the Halloween bag without her children noticing and still button her pants? Iiiiiiit’s SUPER DIGESTER!!!!!”

Happy Memorial Day!

3 comments:

Jemsmom said...

I agree with Maria and if you and Deb hooked up (get your mind out of the gutter woman!! :-) ) you could sell some major books!!! People would laugh themselves silly! I love hearing new stuff about you! Keep it up!

Brownies... always go with brownies!!!

stephanie said...

I love this! More please!! Writing your book suggestions down too, thanks for those! I think a SUPER DIGESTER sounds awesome!! Tried to comment yesterday but it wouldn't let me, wonder why that does that sometimes? Guess it didn't like what I had to say.

Karen said...

Elizabeth is by far my favorite name, in fact, if I could be guaranteed a daughter I would probably go for #4 just to use it! Don't get me wrong, I heart the name Hannah, and there is a long boring, and typical story as to why she isn't named Liz. As for the leading role in the Story of Elizabeth Jessie, I am thinking Jennifer Garder.