Saturday, June 4, 2011

In the Chair

This was me yesterday.

hairdresser

A person gets a lot of time to think when she’s sitting alone in a chair for a long time.  Kind of reminds me of my Nautical Corner when I was a kid (my very cute, unable to pronounce “r” way of saying “Naughty Girl Corner”.  Seriously, I was adorable!).  Not that I spent much time in the Nautical Corner, but still. 

So, I was sitting in front of a huge mirror, staring at my foiled up self for way too long.  It’s not a good look for most people, but between the overhead lighting, the alien hair, and the big smock, I was definitely losing the tenuous hold I have on my wavering self-confidence.  So I got some magazines.hairdresser2

I mostly read the People magazines.  The Martha Stewart Living was my cover to make me look a little less fluffy and a tad more substantial and purposeful and fahncy.

And I played around with my Instagram.  I took sneak photos of the people next to me. 

hairdresser4

This befoiled young lady with the Coke and the cell phone has terrible allergies, she coughs all night long, and she’s just feeling very tired and worn out from sneezing and sniffling all the time.  She can’t wait for allergy season to be over.

The woman below had the best workout she’s ever had the evening before.  Her instructor is awesome.  He really works the class, but he cares about them too, he walks around and will tell them if they’re doing a move wrong.  He’s amazing.  She’s sore today though!

hairdresser 3

When I was done with my Martha Stewart Living (*wink wink*) I played a little Angry Birds then emailed Dave and Maddie who were on their way to Philadelphia for Maddie’s 5th grade field trip.  Maddie was so excited that Dave was chosen to be a chaperone.  Dave was also excited…in a manly, I’d-rather-be-golfing-but-I’d-do-anything-for-my-daughter-and-I-mean-anything-even-sit-on-a-school-bus-for-two-hours-with- 75-eleven-year-olds kind of way).  He’s a good dad. 

Finally, Stacy came back and took out the foils, washed my hair, massaged my scalp (best part of my day, baby) cut my hair, and blew me out.  I’m telling you, if I won the lottery, I would pay someone to come to my house every day and blow out my hair.  I just love the sleek, silky look, so different from my own frizzy, puffy hair. 

hairdresser 5

This is not that look.

I spent a little over 2 hours in that chair.  There was an embarrassingly large butt indentation left behind (ha! I crack myself up!  --left behind!  Get it!? OMG!  Crack myself up! Will the hilarity never end!  Dude!  End!  OMG!) when I stood up.  My hope is that it went away before the next person arrived.  Although I sincerely doubt they noticed anyway, as dazzled as they probably were with my sleek, silky hair and as impressed as they must have been with the “Crochet Your Own Toilet Paper” article I left sitting on the counter next to the huge mirror.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

Thanks for the laugh!! When I'm in the chair I go straight for the totally trashy mags, no shame here! That's my time!! I actually check out all the People mags from the library, a just throw in a Time and Newsweek and Prevention to look like I care!

stephanie said...

Grammatical error in the above comment. It should say and just throw in a Time, Newsweek and Prevention. Don't want to look like I can't write either. But just ask me a pop culture question.

Jen said...

Love any quiet time to myself....the head rub is the best!

corners of my life said...

So where is the photo of that sleek, silky look?