Friday, November 13, 2009

Flu Shot-Maddie’s Perspective

A few posts ago I wrote about our yearly flu shot drama.  You can read about it by clicking here.

Yesterday at Maddie’s school conference, the teacher sent home Maddie’s account of the same day.  They were so similar (though I think hers is written much more artistically), I had to share it…great minds think alike!

 

“’I can do this,” I thought.  I tried to concentrate on my copy of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.  “Dumbledore’s what?”  I put the book down.  I couldn’t concentrate on it.  I heard a lot of little kids crying.  You could tell it was flu shot day.  I could hear explosions in my head.  Then a nurse called our name.  All of a sudden everything in my head got silent.

When we got to the room, my mom and I sat down on two hard, grey chairs. 

My brother, Ben, said he wanted to go first.  I looked away when he got his shot.  I hate looking at people getting shots.  After Ben got his shot, I felt like I was going to throw up.  My mom rushed me to the bathroom.  When I didn’t throw up, my mom said that we shouldn’t keep the nurse waiting.  Then I had to get my shot.

I had to sit on the tissue paper-covered examining table.  The nurse washed the spot (where she was going to give me the shot) with some rubbing alcohol.  It smelled like nail polish remover (P.U.)  Then she said, ‘I’m ready to give you your shot.’

The nurse put the medicine in the shot and said, "’Let me know when you’re ready'.’

Several minutes passed.  Then I said, ‘I’m ready.’  The nurse put on rubber inspection gloves and picked up the shot.  I looked away.  The nurse said not to make my arm go tense, because it would hurt  more.  Then she gave me my shot.  It felt like you prick yourself with a pin.

‘Wow!’ I said, ’That didn’t hurt!’ The nurse told me "’Don’t forget it didn’t hurt next  time you get a shot!’

I thought to myself, ‘Shots aren’t that bad!’”

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Beth, Love your pictures! Your family is beautiful! Fall pictures are the best! Wendy