Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Get This Song Outta My Head!

A long, long, long, long time ago, I used to listen to my own music in the car.  No Disney songs or Bible School soundtracks or God-help-me Caillou DVD’s blaring in the background.

I was really into musicals at one point and the soundtracks from both “Rent” and “Les Miserables” were constantly playing in my head. 

How lucky I was then.

Jack has been watching the “Fresh Beat Band” on Nick Jr. for about a month now.  This new show is definitely watchable, the characters are all smiley and fun and kind of dopey but lovable, and they sing and dance to pop rock type music.  I initially felt a surge of happiness when the show came on.  Finally!  He’s not watching Caillou!

I hate Caillou.

But these songs are going through all our heads, all hours of the day.  I wake up at 2 a.m. to make a little trip to the bathroom and find myself singing , “We had a great day!  We had a super daaay.” 

Ben says, “Goes a little something like this.  Come on.”  And we all start singing “LAAAA La La La La LAAALA”.

Dave dances out of his office humming “Let’s stick-stick together…Best best friends forever.”

And I heard Maddie in the shower singing “Uh-oh, Oh-No What’cha say? Uh-oh Oh-no, things are kind of trick-ay.”

Jack has every song memorized.  Every song.

I long for the days of Cosette & Jean Valjean and Mark & Roger.  I want to have a song running through my brain that isn’t referencing the fact that one of the characters got his feet stuck in buckets. 

However, I could have the Caillou theme song pummeling my brain cells over and over and over so I guess I should stop complaining and count my blessings.

No comments: