Thursday, November 19, 2009

On My Nightstand

My friend Stephanie asked me to do a post about what’s on my nightstand.  I think she meant What are you reading, Beth?, but I’ll take it literally and give you a picture.
2009_1119davebday0021
2009_1119davebday0022
So, on my nightstand….lots of dust.  And some reading glasses that I now unfortunately need.  My electric blanket switch, t.v. remote, and telephone, a candle (never been lit), a picture of Dave and me, a pair of earrings and a ponytail holder and two hair clips.  Two cough drops and some ear buds for an ipod.  A lamp.  And eight books.

I’m currently reading Dune Road by Jane Green. It’s just okay.  Also on there are the three books I just read (Saturday by Ian McEwan and Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris are both waiting to go back to the library tomorrow.  The Girlfriend’s Guide to Getting Your Groove Back  by Vicki Iovine is waiting to go back to my sister-in-law.  The book didn’t work by the way.  My groove is long-gone and considered MIA.)

That’s four down, four to go.

Waiting to be read are two books I picked up at a yard sale.  I’m saving these for the day when I have no good library books to read, as library books have a deadline and yard sale books do not.  My two yard sale books are The Secrets of the Fire King by Kim Edwards and Babyville by Jane Green.  The library book waiting for me is The Crowning Glory of Calla Lilly Ponder by Rebecca Wells who wrote the Ya-Ya-Sisterhood books.

I can't wait to read my final book, that is cozily nestled amongst the tiny dustbunnies.  I actually bought this book!  As a longtime fan of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, I was thrilled to find a novel based entirely on her masterpiece, but with zombies in the cast.  Who could not resist that???
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
                   2009_1119davebday0024
I left the 20% off sticker on there on purpose---my husband will appreciate it.
If you’ve read P&P, you’'ll see why the first paragraph of the book hooked me: 

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains.  Never was this more plain than during the recent attacks at Netherfield Park, in which a household of eighteen was slaughtered and consumed by a horde of the living dead.  ‘My dear Mr. Bennet,’ said his lady to him one day, ‘have you heard that Netherfield Park is occupied again?’”

Seriously!  The quintessential Comedy of Manners has been overtaken by zombies???  I can’t wait! (Let me just add here that I am not generally a fan of slasher/thriller/blood and guts books...I just have to see how someone can take this novel and follow Austen's storyline exactly while adding zombies to the mix).

So, if you’re able to comment (good luck with that…I’m not sure why no one’s been allowed to comment), I’d love to hear what’s on your nightstand!

No comments: