Saturday, November 21, 2009

I Guess a Christmas Bonus is Out of the Question

My husband is a hard worker, a detail-oriented perfectionist who wakes up at 5 a.m. to start work in our home office and usually finishes his day by 7 p.m.  Finishes is the wrong word, as he still pecks away at emails on his Blackberry and keeps sorting out work issues in his head while reading the evening paper or wrestling on the floor with the kids.  He often heads back into his office after the kids head to bed to do what appears to be a lot of graph analyzing and other boring looking stuff like that.

But now he finds he suddenly has a lot of time on his hands.

Because he was abruptly“let go” from his job on Thursday afternoon.  He’ll get glowing references from the company which, like many companies, is struggling in this economy (the same company for which he missed Labor Day, Halloween, his birthday, my birthday, Valentine's Day, and Mother's Day all in one year).  We saw it coming then, so luckily I have been back in the teaching saddle again as a substitute (and I wrote my first resume in twenty years on Thursday night to apply for some long-term subbing jobs—scary), but it was still a shock.

Right now I just feel sick to my stomach.

Dave, as always, is optimistic and looking forward to some new experiences and finding that perfect new position, which is, hopefully, out there and will be available soon. 

Please.
    2009_0526May090001
A fringe benefit of unemployment? 
No more Skyping Daddy on all of his business trips!!

No comments: