Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Easy Crockpot Stew

After nearly a week of beautiful, gorgeous sunshine, we’ve got another day of rain here.  That’s actually good because I don’t need to water the new grass over the old sinkhole, and I don’t have to put the second coat of paint on the shutters (my weekend project is stretching into so much more), and finally, I can put a yummy, easy, cozy stew in the crockpot for supper.  I love soups and stews on rainy days.

The one I’m showing you today is adapted from a woman’s magazine (Good Housekeeping, Family Circle etc.), but it’s from so long ago that I can’t remember which one!  (By the way, the magazine called it “Beef Boogie Woogie”, but we call it “Steak and Noodles” because everyone around here likes steak. Ha HA!)   My kids generally do NOT like soups and stews or casseroles…or any meal where all the ingredients are mixed together.  Which is frustrating.  But they all like this one.

First spray your crockpot with Pam.  Then, in the crockpot, mix together one can of Cream of Mushroom soup, a pack of Lipton’s dry Beefy Onion Soup mix (or any dry beefy soup mix), and either a 1/2 cup of dry red wine or water.  Before the kids came along, I used wine.  The kids do not like the flavor of the wine, however, so now I use water.   Both are good.

When that’s all mixed together, throw in 1-1/2 - 2 lbs. of beef chunks, a bag of baby carrots, and a small or large package of washed and trimmed mushrooms.  Note:  this is the only way my kids will eat cooked carrots, they love them this way.  Also note:  the mushrooms are for Dave and me.  I pick them out for the kids.

I’m not going to show you a picture, because at this point, it does not look so very appetizing.

Do all of that in the morning and then cook on low all day.  Right before you’re ready to serve, cook some egg noodles and throw that into the crockpot with your stew.  Then serve.
DSCF6915
Beef Boogie Woogie
or Steak and Noodles

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix
1/2 c. dry red wine or water
1-1/2 – 2 lbs. beef for stew chunks
8 oz. bag of baby carrots
mushrooms, washed and trimmed

Whisk together soup, wine or water, and dry soup.  Add remaining ingredients, stir until coated.  Cook in the crockpot on low 8-10 hours.  Add cooked egg noodles when ready to serve!

I am linking this recipe with Foodie Friday!

4 comments:

Tara said...

This looks delicious!

Jemsmom said...

That is so doable! I would have to pick the carrots out for me and Jemma! We like them uncooked but hate them cooked! Looks yummy!

corners of my life said...

Other than soups I don't have much luck with my crockpot. I look forward to trying this. Thanks

Wendy said...

I need to pull my crockpot out. This would be perfect on these busy nights...and this is much healthier then the cereal we've been eatting for dinner!