Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Project or Two…

Yesterday, Wendy at Relatively Unique published a blogpost that made me really tired.  Wendy, besides working full time, is renovating their home a little at a time, currently changing an existing stable into a playroom, making homemade suet cakes for the wild birds who visit to dine on, repainting and reupholstering chairs, making craft/décor items to sell in her craft shop, sewing a Halloween costume, hanging curtains, helping her kids with their own craft project, and running for president.  (I made that last one up, but I think she if she can keep up with this schedule, she ought to be able to run the country).

After I read her post I took a nap.  And then I looked around me and realized that I too am a busy person with lots of projects!  Let me show you!DSCF7267

First of all, I have this pineapple to cut up.  It’s actually a very tricky project because I need to time it just right.  I don’t want the pineapple to be too ripe, but I also don’t want it to be not ripe enough.  You can imagine the sleep I am losing over this one.

Also, I have three very ripe bananas that are just begging to be made into banana muffins.  I am trying very hard to not make them into banana muffins because banana muffins are my favorite, and I am trying, as always, to cut down on the calorie consumption.  Walking by those bananas every day and not making them into banana muffins is sapping a lot of my strength.

Next up is the guinea pig.  He’s always been a bit shy.  A guinea pig’s first line of defense is hiding, and Herbie must have some good Guinea Pig DSCF7268Genes, because he’s pretty much always hiding under DSCF7269something.  I’ve been spending a lot of my free time with him, talking about how he is safe here, and loved, and how we have no hawks flying around our kitchen hoping to grab him and make him their lunch, and how we would love it if he would leave behind the boxes and tunnels and join us as an equal, as a loved and cherished family member.  I ask him lots of questions about his childhood and his parents and I encourage him to try to think of the moment that he feels damaged him so much that he must hide away from his loved ones.  We are still working on developing his trust.

I’ve also been working on my junk collection.

DSCF7280

I like to keep my junk collection on my entryway table because I feel it gives guests that “Welcome Friend!” feeling.  I think my collection is coming along nicely.

I also like to keep my junk collection in my “baking corner” (note the mixer) to discourage any baking of banana muffins.

DSCF7271

Another project of mine that has been very time consuming lately are my Dust Communication Displays. 

DSCF7288

DSCF7287

DSCF7297

You would be surprised at how long it takes to accumulate an adequate amount of dust for these displays to work!

I’m sure you can see that waiting for the dust to collect, the junk to accumulate, the guinea pig to trust, the bananas to rot, and the pineapple to ripen are huge time investments and energy busters.   Whew!  Do you feel as tired now as I do?  Feel free to take a nap.  But please don’t visit me right now.  I am really much too busy working on my projects to entertain you at the moment.

6 comments:

Jemsmom said...

I am exhausted just reading this! I better go rest for a while! I love your dust accumulation and am right behind you. I unfortunately forgot about that project and dusted last week, but it is back and coming along nicely!

stephanie said...

Thanks for keeping it real! You are also busy coming up with entertaining blog posts to keep your faithful readers happy!!

Tara said...

This post reminds me of one of my all-time favorite quotes by the great philosopher, Prince. *ahem* "It seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing, but different than the day before." That's pretty much my life motto. It's a great lifestyle.

Deb said...

I originally wrote my comment right on my monitor, bt I figred yo likely can't see it throgh yor own dsty monitor. So now I'm typing it ot, bt that too is a challenge as my "" key is jammed by miscellaneos pieces of snack nderneath it. Someday I hope to have a jnk collection as fine as yors.

corners of my life said...

Laughing out loud . . .

Karen said...

Thanks for keeping it real! Your dust communication skills are impressive, however, if you would like to feature a true junk collection I would be happy to show you my island!