Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkin Pumpkin

Even though we bought our pumpkins in late September, we waited until now to do the carving so we wouldn’t have a big slimy mess of rotten pumpkin seeds and decaying, blackened rinds decorating our front porch.  Jack found this hard to understand and asked me at least twice a week, and more frequently as Halloween approached, When Just When Are We Going To Carve Our Pumpkins, Mom, Pleeeease!?

I surprised all of them after school on Wednesday, announcing that  no after school activities +  gorgeous weather +  we are within a week of Halloween = PUMPKIN CARVING TIME!

Everyone was excited!  (Except Ben who thinks carving pumpkins is icky.  He likes to design his but leaves the cleaning and carving to us.  He has always been this way, and I’ve learned to accept it.  Mostly.)

DSCF7320

DSCF7306

DSCF7313DSCF7310

DSCF7319DSCF7318

DSCF7328DSCF7329DSCF7332

DSCF7336

DSCF7346

DSCF7341

We always roast our pumpkin seeds and snack on them all evening and this year was no exception.  There were so many seeds we even have leftovers!

How we roast pumpkin seeds:

~separate the seeds from the pulp right away and soak the seeds in a bowl of salted water for a little bit (15 min.-an hour or so)

~pour the seeds/water through a strainer, pick out any additional pulp, then drizzle a little olive oil over the seeds and mix.

~spread the seeds out on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam and sprinkle with salt (I like to use sea salt) and bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes (I tried using the convection oven this time and found 18 minutes was a good time for that).

~cool and eat!

Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

corners of my life said...

Kids carving pumpkins os one of the things I miss most about Halloween. Thanks for sharing so I could pretend, for a moment, to be right there.

Kathryn said...

Great pumpkins and awesome shots!!! I love the close up of the jack o'lantern face!!! We will carve on Saturday morning or Sunday. They rot fast here so we wait until last minute! Thanks for the recipe. I am always trying new ones. I used a worchestershire sauce one last year that was different but good!

Deb said...

Great carving, Wolfepack! Now, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I recently had mine burst so I'm paying it forward. On Weight Watchers, pumpkin seeds are worth EIGHT POINTS for a QUARTER CUP! That's the same as a hot dog, with the bun! That makes me mad. I ate a whole day's worth of points this weekend before I looked up the points value. Stupid but yummy pumpkin seeds.

Tara said...

We carved our pumpkins Thursday night. I was told if you coat the inside of your pumpkin with bleach and rub vaseline on the cut parts, you won't get mold and it won't rot as fast. I didn't actually do that though, because it seemed like a lot of work. I never ate pumpkin seeds before because, again, seems like a lot of work. But since Deb says they are high in weight watcher points, they must be good and therefore worth the extra effort.