Monday, September 19, 2011

I Am Crafty!

Well, no, in fact I am really very NOT crafty.  I don’t even really like to read all of those craft blogs out there.  I also have friends (mainly Wendy and Stephanie) who like to go to second hand stores in search of junk that they end up making into absolutely gorgeous things.  I have tried doing the same thing, but usually leave the store empty handed…it all just looks like junk to me, and I just don’t have the creative vision necessary to make it nice.

However.  I have noticed a lot of really cool crafts out there made with chalkboard spray paint, and I saw one project in particular, in multiple places, that I finally thought I could do (I wish I could tell you where, I don’t remember, although Wendy may have been my inspiration because she has done a lot with chalkboard paint). 

Last week I hit the secondhand store again, with very low expectations, but I found this!

DSCF6903

And I decided to try to be crafty.

I bought these:

DSCF6909

I removed the painting from the frame and spray painted the frame (both sides).

DSCF6906

Then I spray painted the painting with the chalkboard paint, following the directions on the can (at least 3 coats with 10 minutes of drying time between coats, painted with vertical then horizontal sweeps).  I let it completely dry for 24 hours.

DSCF6916

Then Maddie and I seasoned the chalkboard (also per the directions on the can).  Look at the wall behind Maddie…that’s where this puppy is going!

DSCF6919

After that it was ready to hang.  Dave did this for me, and he attached it securely to the wall in multiple places, since we knew it wasn’t going to be just hanging there.  And I love it!

DSCF6986

DSCF6988

I really am so happy with it, and am trying to figure out what I’ll use the remainder of that chalkboard spray paint on.  Possibly my car hood (I could write “Hip Mama” on it!),  my wine glasses (“I’m with ‘Stupid’”), empty Kleenex boxes (“Get Your Snot Out Here!”)

It’s possible I still need to work on my artistic vision.  But it’s a start.

5 comments:

Tara said...

I love it! It looks great! It makes me want to put chalkboard paint on something, anything, right now! I like your idea of doing the car hood. I'll go work on that now.

Deb said...

VERY impressive. Mostly I'm talking about your future chalk thoughts. You better trademark that before Kleenex steals your thunder.

Jemsmom said...

You ARE crafty!!! That looks awesome! I am crafty, but lazy so I never get around to doing it!!!

stephanie said...

So proud of you!!! Looks great! I actually liked the painting that you spray painted over too. Hope that wasn't a famous painter's lost work of art worth millions.

Spray on girlfriend!

Wendy said...

Awesome!! I love that you hung it vertical! So very proud of you! Now that you have opened the chalkboard creative flood gates...watch out! Can't wait to see what you paint next :)