Monday, September 26, 2011

Final Field Trip

I’m a little late on this blogpost.  I actually kind of forgot about this field trip and just stumbled across the pictures while looking for something else.  As you can imagine, my photo filing system complements my steel trap of a brain very nicely.

Our last “field trip” before school began was to Lake Tobias, which is both a zoo and a safari ride.  Lake Tobias also has a very nice souvenir shop, which may have been the highlight of the trip for the kids (unless it was possibly devouring the most gigantic Kool-Pops I’ve ever seen which I bought for them because I’m so nice).  I didn’t get a picture of the Kool-Pops though, believe it or not.  But let me tell you, they were about two entire feet of popsicle awesomeness wrapped in plastic.

The real reason we went to Lake Tobias was not for the souvenir shop or the popsicles or even for the zoo.  We went for the Safari Ride, which is the best.  After buying your tickets, you hop onto a school bus with the roof cut off of it. 
DSCF6597
With bonus camo paint!

The bus is driven by your tour guide who stops occasionally and tells you fun facts about the animals you’re seeing.
DSCF6646
Since the roof is cut off, she doesn’t have that big overhead mirror to gaze menacingly at you with.  So you can be naughty.  Bwahahahaha.

Since we have done the safari ride before, we knew to stock up on crackers and popcorn for the animals.  I don’t know why giant bulls would like a cracker, but they do. 

See?
DSCF6657
Yes.  That is his tongue sticking out to get the cracker.  I know!  EWWW!
DSCF6659
DSCF6643

One happy fella even climbed up the bus steps!
DSCF6627
DSCF6650
This one is totally sticking his tongue out at us!  Rude.

There were a lot more animals and birds on the safari ride (not just cattle), but I won’t bore you with all of the pictures I took. 

After the safari ride, we went through the zoo.  I took lots of pictures of ostriches and lions and prairie dogs and monkeys.  Would you like to see my pictures?  I didn’t think so.

Our second favorite at Lake Tobias is the petting zoo.  Guess why Maddie is excited in this picture…
DSCF6671
DSCF6672
Herbie’s cousins!  And did you ever see a pregnant guinea pig???
DSCF6685
I bet she’s got some heartburn and sleeping issues.

We spent a good 3-4 hours there, on the safari ride, wandering among the animals, whining because mom never buys us anything at the souvenir shop, and petting goats before we headed back to our car.  If you haven’t been to Lake Tobias, I highly suggest a visit, it’s one of our favorite places!
DSCF6652
The End.

2 comments:

Tara said...

We went to Lake Tobias once, many years ago. It was very hot and there was no shade and the kids were cranky and I was cranky and a monkey screamed at Max and scared him to death and we never went back again. But your post and pictures make me think I should give it a second try! The last picture was my favorite; very artistic shot!

Slo said...

I was only there once, a few years ago. I LOVED it! I want to go back again. We went in the fall and it was beautiful. I didn't expect to see so many animals. I have a funny picture that we took that day -- I'll try to remember to show you!

You do so many nice things with your children, Beth. They will have magnificent memories from their childhood!