Friday, September 9, 2011

Rain Rain Go Away

We’ve been having a little rain around here.  It started in mid-August with a soaker of a rainfall that reportedly gave us 2-5 inches of rain in just an hour.   The rest of August gave us a slightly above normal amount of rain until Hurricane Irene, who soaked us again and gave all of us the chance to play Musical Lawn Chairs/Trampolines/Garbage Cans with our neighbors and knocked out power for many people I know for almost a week.  But this week?

Has. Been. A. Doozy.

Picture a nice map of the northeastern United States.  Now picture Tropical Depression Lee to the west of Pennsylvania and Hurricane Katia to the east, in the ocean.  Those two weather systems funneled a crazy amount of hard, heavy rain right through central Pennsylvania for three days.  Three days of crazy hard rain.  I’ve made a technologically advanced illustration for you to help you visualize it!
DSCF6868
Yes! Those are Twistables!  The latest in crayon technology!

I’m thinking of buying one of these:
340x[2]
                                                                   Or maybe just scuba gear.

School students were dismissed early on Wednesday (after the school decided that it wasn’t safe to transport them home in buses—huh??), and roads became covered in water so quickly, that some kids didn’t even make it home and spent the night at school.  Since the start of this thing, some of us have had ruined basements galore, a boil water advisory, and no electricity, we’ve seen a submerged Pizza Hut, two dead bison at the local zoo, and plenty of newly opened sinkholes (we live in an area abundant in porous limestone) and Facebook has been alive with stunned gawkers, whiny reporters, and nosy lurkers as folks post devastating  photos from around the area.  Like these:
318766_1963005916081_1270832841_1712112_776268208_s[1]hershey_2[1]pizzahut_1[2]
Thank you, Facebook Friends.  You are totally better than any news report.

It’s not funny, and it’s not a joke, and I really feel for those (like my parents and in-laws, and many, many friends) who’ve had to bail the water out of their basements one bucket at a time (my father-in-law estimated it took him 150 trips up and down his stairs).

We’ve had it rough around here too.
DSCF6861
I’m so glad that I’m kidding.  We’ve watched the basement carefully but so far so good. We need to conserve our water, but not boil it, and our electricity outages have been fairly short.  And since school was cancelled yet again today, the kids have decided to practice their sloth impressions.  They’re getting mighty good at them too.

Oh!  They did move at one point…
DSCF6849DSCF6852DSCF6859
Boys.  Maddie and I think they’re totally dumb.

There are also a bunch of really cool looking mushrooms around now.
DSCF6864
2011_0521spring50022
DSCF6865

And if we didn’t already have a pool, we could go swimming in our backyard…
DSCF6843


I wish I could send some of this rain to Texas or Oklahoma since I know things are dry, dusty, and dire there.  All I know is we are ready to say goodbye to Lee and Katia and send them on their happy, floody ways.   Sunshine?  What the heck is that?   Even Herbie is getting depressed.  I think.

To my local friends…stay safe and dry.

5 comments:

Jemsmom said...

I wish we could have a bit of that down here. We are so dry, but Texas needs it so much more! How crazy are those pictures of the flooding. Thank goodness you haven't had any trouble. Hang in there! It should be over soon! BTW... I do not get the door climbing thing. Our neighbors boys do it all the time and it makes no sense to me!! Must be a MALE thing!!!

Wendy said...

Wasn't it awesome to see the sunshine today! I think we all did a happy day! We are starting to drive each other crazy here!!
Tell the boys that is a pretty cool trick in the door frames!

Tara said...

We've had some strange, alien looking mushrooms popping up around here too; tall skinny ones with a red point. I don't like them. I stay away from the.

Great map graphic, by the way!

Jen said...

All I can say is...thank goodness tomorrow is MONDAY!

corners of my life said...

Great weather map.
Look out Sam Champion {gma}.