Friday, September 23, 2011

Please Excuse the Mess

Have you discovered Pinterest yet?  I love Pinterest.  I can lose hours of my morning looking around on Pinterest.  You know how you can stroll through all these blogs and see the coolest ideas, but then find it’s hard to print ideas from a blog page or it’s crazy to bookmark all those recipes or you think you’ll remember where you saw that craft and you go back, but can’t find it?  Well, that’s what Pinterest is for.  Once you figure it all out (and it took me awhile), you can “pin” the ideas you find on those blogs (or anywhere on the internet) onto your personal “boards”.  I have a board called “Recipes I’d Like to Try” and one called “Stuff For the Kids”  and more, and all those ideas, in the form of pictures linked back to the original text, are pinned right there for me.  And, even better, you can scroll down through what everyone else in the world is “pinning” as their favorites and see a whole bunch of really cool ideas all in one spot (which you can repin onto your own boards).

One of my own blogposts was pinned onto Pinterest once, by someone I don’t even know.  That’s how I discovered Pinterest (and I was very honored and walked around carrying a pen for weeks certain I’d be asked for autographs!  I wasn’t.)

So, anyway this is actually not a blogpost about Pinterest, but about a quote I saw on there this morning (which I didn’t repin and should have, darnit!)  It really spoke to me.  It said, “Please excuse the mess, but my children are making memories.”

My house is a bit of a mess right now because Dave’s been out of town all week, and things get a little bit…crumbly… around here when I’m the lone adult.  Dave’s mantra with the kids was always “Clean up what you’re playing with before you move on to the next thing.”  And that’s a really good mantra.  I wish it were my mantra.  My mantra is more like “Someday it will get cleaned up, probably right before company comes.”

So I guess that little saying from Pinterest gives me a chance to blame the mess on the children’s memory making and creativity, and not my housekeeping, so sure, let’s go with that.  And let me tell you, my kids make lots of memories…

DSCF6869IMG_0132

2010_1106kugos0018

117_1780

117_1786

m opening presents

2011_0401house4sale0003

2010_0611poolpartyflowers0018

It is amazing that no one has ever broken a bone going up and down our staircase.  But if they did, I would just say to them, “Well, my kids are making memories!  I think that is more important than your stupid femur.”

6 comments:

corners of my life said...

Such great memories you caught in these photos.

Deb said...

Love that quote! And I love that this summer I saw the same stack of plasticwear on your kitchen floor. Not that it's the SAME pile still. Or maybe it IS the exact same stack. But the point is I love when kids are that imaginative that bowls are fun!

Just started looking at pinterest and still clueless.

Karen said...

Femors are over-rated.... AND, Maddie looks like a pretty pretty princess in that beautiful Rapunzel photo!

Tara said...

What if the mess is stuff that I left lying around? Does that mean I'm making memories too? Right now, my house is completely trashed with kid clutter, my clutter, and husband clutter; we're making memories all over the place!

stephanie said...

You've seen my sign in the kitchen right? "A clean house is a sign of a misspent life" my motto daily!!!!

Slo said...

I love these pictures! This is what it's all about! I love when I see my kids creations and I love seeing what your kids did. It is so cute!