Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Coupon

I really do consider my mom to be one of my best friends.  Sure she drives me crazy too, she is my mom after all, but we talk on the phone several times a week, get together for lunch or shopping when we can, and she is the only other person in the world besides Dave who will listen with rapt attention and be genuinely interested when I blab on about all the (questionably) cute stuff my kids do.  222427_1974767458672_1527638248_32149311_753960_n-1

I say that because I’m going to share a conversation we had the other day that struck me as sort of funny, but I want you to know I’m not making fun of her.  This is just my mom.

We were in the car together headed to Target, the kids in the back seat.

Mom:  Oh!  I found a really good coupon for you.

Me:  Oh good, what’s it for?

Mom:  That yogurt you like.

[I actually do not like yogurt….I eat it when I’m trying to feel healthy and calorie conscious, but I do not actively like it, so I’m not really sure which yogurt she’s referring to.]

Me:  Which one is that?

Mom:  You know.  That yogurt.  The one you like.

Maddie (being helpful from the back seat):  Is it Chobani?

Mom:  What?  Cho…what did you say?

Me:  Chobani.

Mom:  What is Chobani?

Me:  It’s a kind of yogurt. 

Mom:  No.  It’s not Cho…that one.  You would know it.  It’s a very popular yogurt.

Me:  Yoplait?  Dannon?  Activia?

Maddie:  I bet it’s Chobani!

Mom:  No, I would remember a name like that.   It’s that kind you like.

Me:  Well, I eat Chobani the most, are you sure it’s not that?

Mom:  Let me see if I can find it. [rummages through purse…for at least a minute]  I can’t find it.  Anyway, it was a really good coupon.  I cut it out because I know you really like this yogurt.

Me:  Well, thank you!  Let me know when you find it.

Mom: Oh, do you want it now? I’ll keep looking.  Do you need yogurt?

Me:  You don’ t need to keep looking, I just meant when you find it, you can give it to me…someday.

Mom:  No, I am going to find it, that way you have it.  Since I know it’s your favorite. [rummages through purse once more]  I wish I could remember what it was called.

Me: Oh, it doesn’t matter.  Was it Oikos?

Mom:  What?  Oikos?  What is that? 

Me:  It’s a kind of Greek yogurt.

Mom:  That’s what it is!  It’s Greek yogurt!   I know you like that Greek yogurt, and it was a really good coupon!

Me:  Oh good.  I do like Greek yogurt.  I bet it’s for Chobani.

Mom:  Cho…what?  What is that?

Me:  Never mind.

Mom:  Oh!  Here it is!  Look!  It’s $1.50 off 5 yogurts!  That’s pretty good isn’t it?  Let me see, it’s for…Yoplait Greek Yogurt.  I knew it wasn’t that Cho one you said.  Anyway, I’ll put it here and the next time you go shopping you can save $1.50!

~~~~~~~~

Seriously?  I was rolling my eyes inside my head through most of that conversation. “Just give me the darn coupon when you find it!  The name of the yogurt just doesn’t matter!  I probably won’t use it anyway!” is what I wanted to say.  But I didn’t.  Because she’s my mom and I love her and I’m glad she cares enough to cut out coupons for me. 

1000347_347_089

And did I mention she’s a Red Hatter???  She’s the one wearing red and purple.

(Hahahaha!  And standing all the way on the right!)

(Yes, those are purple shoes with a red hat appliqued on them).

(I love you mom!)

5 comments:

Holly said...

I love your mom! She's so darn cute, and hey, if she happens to have any Ding Dong coupons just laying around, um, just sayin.

stephanie said...

I love your matching outfits! Our mothers are funny, aren't they?!

But of course my Emily will think I am the most amazing mother ever and will never speak ill of me or make fun of me on her blog!!! Just let me believe that for a few more minutes please!!!

Crickit said...

What a cute post about the convo with your mom! :)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! The red hat society pic! Priceless!

Jen said...

You are soooo funny Beth- can you come over to my house on T's first day of preschool to make me laugh so I'm not rocking back and forth in a corner crying hysterically???

corners of my life said...

You are so right that - "she is the only other person in the world who will listen with rapt attention and be genuinely interested {in our lives}"

Cherish every moment.