Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Houses of Cape May

So we spent last week in Cape May, NJ.  This was our first time in about ten years to be back in Cape May, as we’d been going to the Outer Banks instead with Dave’s family every year.  Last time we were in Cape May, Maddie and I looked like this:

2010_0804tomato0030

Ben was born two days after we got home!

While we love the Outer Banks, we were so happy to be back in Cape May.  I think what sets Cape May apart from many seaside towns is that it doesn’t shut down after October.  Cape May is home to a very large population of locals who obviously care for their town.  There are no large hotels (like Marriott or Hilton), only smaller, locally owned hotels and lots of B & B’s.  Many houses date back to the early 1900’s (or earlier), flower beds and flower boxes are plentiful and well-tended, and many of the newer, more modern beach houses have an old fashioned look to them. 

One morning, Dave and I left the kids with the family and headed out on a bike ride together.

DSCF6033

And of course I brought my camera.

DSCF6034

I love this fence…many homes have gorgeous wrought iron or picket fences.  You’ll see lots of American flags flying too.

DSCF6055

DSCF6066

I love all of the gingerbread! 

DSCF6027

DSCF6040

DSCF6046

DSCF6049We have a painting (print) of this house, The Pink House, by Alice Steer Wilson, so we were excited to show the kids the real house!

DSCF6048

DSCF6053

DSCF6074

DSCF6043DSCF6047

DSCF6077The Angel of the Sea…one of the larger hotels.

It was a hot day for a bike ride, and we were dripping by the time we headed back to our own beach house.

When Dave and I play the “What would you do if you won the lottery” game (not that we buy tickets) (okay fine, when the prize is a huge one we buy one ticket) (okay fine, once I bought 5 tickets and then told Dave I had really increased our chances because I bought five tickets, and he looked at me with a happy tear in his eye) (actually the tear was because he didn’t realize how very bad at math I was until that moment) a beach house in Cape May is one of our dreams.   You never know.  (Shut up!  Don’t burst my bubble!)

Next post:  The Boardwalk!

5 comments:

Tara said...

Cape May is beautiful! My fave house is the sixth house picture down from the top, with the striped awning over the screen door and the fancy schmancy balcony area on the second floor. Lovely!

Crickit said...

Wow! It is really beautiful there and I LOVE those houses. It looks like the perfect place to live...very cute and quaint.

Thanks for sharing this! :)

stephanie said...

Be still my heart!! Those homes are BEAUTIFUL!!!! That's one of my favorite beach towns too! I've always had a thing for Victorians!

Wendy said...

Love, love, love Cape May! The homes and the history are amazing! Thanks for taking so many great photo's to share with us...although my favorite picture is the first one!!

Jemsmom said...

How gorgeous are those houses! It looks like a movie town it is all so perfect! I love your pregnant belly! How cute are you????