Friday, August 5, 2011

Peachy Keen!

On my Summer A-Z List, my plan was to do some raspberry and apricot picking.  We did the raspberry picking a few weeks ago, but the apricot crop was tiny this year, so there weren’t enough of those to pick.  I was bummed, because I really love apricots. 

DSCF4389

Visor on?  Check.  Sunglasses under the chin?  Check.  Raspberry container tipped over?  Checkarooni.

We (Dave) made those raspberries into ice cream, and that is such a sordid, horrifying tale that I won’t even tell it, except to say that Dave was very keen to remove every raspberry seed from the raspberries and he strained and strained and strained some more, and there were lots of raspberry guts splashed all over thousands of utensils and two walls and a long section of countertop and then the raspberry ice cream itself was…just…kind of…okay.  Dave’s final word?  “Never.  Again.”

We also ate a lot of raspberries out of hand, but no apricots.  Me so sad.

But now it is peach time!  We went peach picking with my friend Jodi who is a peach-picking expert, and who suggested we all wear long sleeved shirts because peaches can give you a rash, apparently.  Who knew?  Jodi, who is gorgeous, threatened me with bodily harm if I took any pictures of her because she had to rush to meet us at the orchard and was not feeling as glamorous as usual.   But her kids are cute and I’ve got pictures of them for you!

DSCF5322

DSCF5316

DSCF5321

Somehow the only picture I got of her son was one with my son…who got hot in his long-sleeve shirt and is showing off his muscles to the ladies.

DSCF5324

DSCF5310

Jack basically walked around the orchard eating peaches the whole time. He finally asked me to take a picture of him in a tree (picture below), but the peach he is holding? Went into his mouth about 3 seconds after the camera clicked.

DSCF5329

DSCF5339

We headed back to the car and paid for our harvest.

DSCF5340

My plan was to make peach crisp, peach pie, and peach freezer jam.  I did make the peach crisp using my apple/blueberry crisp recipe, and it was delicious, if I may say so myself. And apparently, I must.

DSCF5367So far, no pie and no freezer jam.  Herbie loves peaches, though, and has been steadily working his way through them.

And by the way,  Jack has a rash from his neck down to his belly button.  I’m betting it was from all the fuzzy peach juice that dripped off his chin, down his neck, and onto his belly for the hour the rest of us were picking peaches.

7 comments:

Holly said...

I love peach picking too. I like peaches so much better than apricots which seem just too dry to me. Your pics are wonderful! Also, your husband is kinda nuts.

Karen said...

I love the photos and may have just added peach picking to our weekend list of activities! Can't wait for some warm cobbler...

Jemsmom said...

I am doing this whole A-Z summer list next year! I feel like sometimes we are just sitting here wondering what to do. If we had to put long sleeve shirts on right now though, I think I would die! Our heat index is 106 right now! We swam this morning, but will wait it out until the pool is in the shade this afternoon! Picking out the raspberry seeds. That is funny stuff!!!

Tara said...

ooohhh, the peach crisp looks delicious!!!

corners of my life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
corners of my life said...

My all time favorite fruit is (are?) peaches. Such great photos {as usual}.

Crickit said...

Great pictures! I wish that I was a fly on the wall for the making of the raspberry ice cream! It sounds hilarious!

The peaches look delicious and what a fun day you all had!

I think your son Jack loves all of his adventures! He isn't a little rascal is he? :)