Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day

So yesterday I wrote a post about how I was feeling for the first day of school, with intentions of adding the photos this morning and then publishing it for you, but when I reread what I wrote yesterday, I decided to scrap it.  It was very wistful and introspective, because that’s how I was feeling yesterday.  I’ve got two milestones going on this year…a first grader (all day!) and a middle schooler (this is the tough one for me), and of course a 4th grader, which was the easy part.

DSCF6786

                                                                                               Excited but nervous.

But now that they’re on their buses, I’m just feeling elation!  Does that make me a bad mom?  Don’t answer that.  Most of the summer was great!  I found myself saying, somewhere in mid-July to more than one person (multiple witnesses) that we had been enjoying the best summer ever.  Very little arguing, we were having fun together, just the right balance of structure and freedom.  But last week?

“I was sitting there!”

“But you got up.”

“To go to the bathroom!  Get out of my chair!”

“NO!  You got up, it’s my seat now!”

“Mooo-om!”

Seriously?  This one argument happened over and over, many times a day for the entire week.  It seemed like a little fad…steal someone’s seat, even if you don’t want it, to drive them (and mom) crazy.  And it did (drive me crazy).  So excuuuuuse me if I felt elation this morning!

DSCF6787DSCF6789

Grumpy 4th grader (smiled because I told him to) and excited first grader.

Maddie asked me yesterday if I remembered my first day of middle school, and I couldn’t.  In fact the only first day of school I really remember was kindergarten.  I recall being herded off of the bus, into the school lobby.  I was so excited and happy to be in kindergarten.  But there were other kids there crying, and I remember thinking, “Hmm.  Looks like I’m supposed to be crying.”  So I did. I remember very clearly that I wasn’t scared or sad, but that it was a conscious decision to cry.  I got a little attention from one of the teachers there, who patted me on the back and said some kind things to me, which was a little bonus!

DSCF6796

Goodbye school bus!  Goodbye Maddie, Ben, and Jack! I can’t wait to see you after school, but until then, all the chairs are mine, and I won’t be arguing over them with anyone!

5 comments:

Crickit said...

It's the MOST wonderful time of the year! LOL!

Enjoy your alone time :)

Deb said...

Heeeeeeey! If I was there, I was totally going to sit in that chair. You just better hope you don't have to pee today...

Tara said...

I had two milestones also, a first time middle schooler (his first time, but my second time with a middle school child) and a kindergartener! Very bittersweet! You know, we had a wonderful summer too, with all 4 of the kids getting along. In fact, I think that is what made it so hard for all of us for school to be starting back up; never have we had such peace and harmony with all the kids at home! But just so you know, there are usually plenty of times during the school year when they are driving me INSANE and I count the seconds until Monday morning when the bus takes them away!

Holly said...

I say plant your booty in that chair and enjoy the quiet! No guilt, just relax and soak it all in.

corners of my life said...

These faces are priceless. Keep those photos because in nineteen years you'll be doing a post like the one I have in the queue for September 7th.