Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Past and Presents

Do you like old photos as much as I do?  I enjoy checking out the weird clothes on the people, the outdated decor in the background, the facial expressions, the family relationships, the illustrated record of an important event.

Would you like to see some of my old photos?  Too bad.  Here they are.2010_1211oldchristmas0003
It’s Christmas morning and I’m  in my new majorette costume playing with my awesome new Fisher-Price barn.  I still have the barn and the Ernie puppet I also got.   I wish I still had the majorette costume:   those shiny black boots are totally groovin’.

How about this beauty?
2010_1211oldchristmas0004
I’m rocking out on my new guitar next to my Suzy Homemaker ironing board.  (Note to husband:  this is why I don’t like ironing, I got burnt out at a very young age). 

2010_1211oldchristmas0002
I believe I am 10 years old in this picture, and my Dorothy Hamill haircut and I are very excited to be holding the newest Holly Hobbie doll.  If they had American Girl dolls then, I’d have been all over them.  Do you think my bratty brother Dave loves that fire truck as much as my dad loves his mustache?

2010_1211oldchristmas0005
Dy-no-mite!  Yes that’s Jay Jay from Good Times on my Christmas underwear!
2010_1211oldchristmas0001
I believe I see a whoopie cushion, the Lord of the Rings book set, some Avon perfume in a bottle shaped like a shepherdess, and could it be…?  Yes!  A Holly Hobbie desk set and I’m leaning against my new Holly Hobbie pillow.  I was all about Holly Hobbie for way too long.  Check out the new watch on my wrist.  It was way cool because you pushed a button and the time lit up in red.

My Grammy made a new afghan for someone every year.  When it was your turn, you felt very honored.
2010_1211oldchristmas0008
Grammy made me two over the years, and I still love and use both of them.  By the way, my future husband is sitting behind me smiling at all my relatives and trying to figure out if he should really marry a woman who wears huge glasses and a poinsettia sweatshirt hand decorated with glitter glue.

Such happiness on these faces:
2010_1211oldchristmas0007
I love watching my children open their Christmas presents.  We mostly buy them only “needs” all year, not “wants” which helps make Christmas day especially fun and anticipated. 

Only fourteen more days until Christmas, and we can’t wait!

2 comments:

Jemsmom said...

I think we were separated at birth!!! I had the same barn and the same Avon shepherdess! We also shared the Dorothy Hamill haircut and giant glasses! I had a few hand painted glittery shirts myself! I love these pictures! How fun! Treasure them. I don't have many pictures of my childhood and am so sad that I don't. I think that is why I take so many pictures of Jemma!

Crickit said...

I really liked this post! I believe I had the same shinny boots but in white! It was so fun reading this post as it was a walk down memory lane for me also...although I believe I am maybe a "little" older than you! :)