Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sprinkles Here, Jimmies There

Last Sunday was our annual Kids Bake and Sprinkle Day.  The primary goal of this day is for the kids to roll, cut, and decorate their own cookies, and really, only Jack still needs a little help.  The secondary goal is for me to get through the entire process without constantly nagging that less is more when it comes to sprinkles and jimmies belong on the cookies, not the floor, and also stop eating the sprinkles, geesh!

There was a lot of sprinkle eating and sneaking…

2010_1212cookies0048

2010_1212cookies0040

He noticed the camera pointed at him just in time to look surprised and cover up the move.

 

Anyway, we all really do have fun, I just have to keep repeating to myself “It will all sweep up, it’s okay to use a lot—I can buy more sprinkles, and the point is fun, not beauty and neatness”, and we usually make it through just fine.

2010_1212cookies0047

Jack REALLY likes sprinkles.  He uses them very generously.  Very, extremely, unbelievably, heart-thumpingly generously.

2010_1212cookies0039

Maddie takes her time.  Each cookie is a work of art.  Notice the cookie in the bottom left corner that says Maddie…

2010_1212cookies0063

Of course, a week later, I’m still crunching little white balls under my feet.  But it was worth it.

2 comments:

corners of my life said...

One thing I still make my children do when they come home is bake and decorate cut-out cookies. I wonder if they enjoy it or just humor me?? It looks like it was pretty fun at your house.

This year . . . I will give them more sprinkles!

Crickit said...

We have a tradition to make sugar cookies every Christmas too! This year we had a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old helping. Looks like you all had a great time at your house too!

Happy New Year!