Sunday, December 5, 2010

Tree-dition

Christmas is just steeped in tradition, isn’t it?  Let me share a few our traditions with you!

Our first tradition is the very fun How Many Times Can We Ask Mom When We’re Decorating the House Before She Kicks Something.  This year I kicked the box containing the stockings and nutcrackers about 90 minutes into Thanksgiving Day.  A new record!  This tradition is so fun it is repeated often throughout the Christmas season in different variations  such as When Are We Getting the Tree, Can We Bake Cookies Today, Pleeeease Can’t We Make the Gingerbread House, and best of all Why Don’t We Have As Many Lights Up As The Neighbors?

Of course, getting the Christmas tree is one of our most anticipated holiday traditions.  We head out to the tree farm, run through all of the trees, and see who can get the muddiest shoes or, as was the lucky case this year, who can fall and stain their new pants first.
2010_1204christmastree0019 2010_1204christmastree0030
Once the tree is chosen and chopped down, the next tradition we enjoy is How Long Will It Take Daddy to Tie the Tree to the Car Roof?  This year we were treated to a little bonus fun when Daddy rolled the tree off the opposite side of the car, which was pretty darn hilarious.
2010_1204christmastree0046
Yes, that really did just happen…

Once the tree is (finally) secured to the roof of the car, Dave and I have a little tradition of our own we like to call Forgetting the Tree is on the Car Roof and Driving Into the Garage.  Try it!  It’s lots of fun!

When the tree is finally placed in its holiday position by the window, my absolute favorite tradition, the Joyful Stringing of the Lights takes place.  I am in charge of this one, and oh, words cannot describe the joy it brings me!  Especially because there are three children just DYING to hang ornaments on the tree but who must wait until the Lights Are Hung With Care and As Little Swearing As Possible but who still feel the need to ask frequently “are you done with the lights yet”, “why are those lights you put up not lit now”, “can we just put some candy canes on it”, and “isn’t it weird that you have the part that goes in the outlet at the top of the tree, mom, shouldn’t it be at the bottom?”  Oh yes.  Such joy.

Truly, though, one of our favorite traditions is pulling out the ornaments and exclaiming excitedly over them as we haven’t seen them all in almost a year.  They really are like old friends to us!  When we go to hang these old friends on the tree, we find it is best to hang them as close to the end of the branch as possible, ensuring that each and every one will fall to the floor at least once through the holiday season.  We call this tradition The Ornament Game and the aim of the game is that you earn a point every time you are the one to pick up an ornament and place it back on the tree.  So far, I have the most points, 17, while everyone else still has zero!  I am totally going to win this one!
2010_1204christmastree0073

Once the tree is up, it’s time to stand back and admire it.
2010_1204christmastree0079
The sweet, calm, beauty of the Christmas Tree.  I absolutely do love it.

Oh!  Is that a fallen ornament I hear?!  Excuse me:  18 points for Mom!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I love the train around your tree- that would never last at our house- because of Tyson our tree is decorated from the middle up! Those decorations are too tempting for him!
Glad I'm not the only one that was swearing on "tree decorating day"
Think I'll be getting coal this christmas b/c of my bad attitude

Deb said...

Snort. Hahahahahahahaha.

I think the Forgetting the Tree is on the Car Roof and Driving Into the Garage tradition is probably one of those things that is waaaay funnier in hindsight? Or perhaps only funny to those of us reading your blog?

Rigging up the lights. Man, that job sucks. But if you want it done right* you've got to do it yourself, yes?

*With the plug at the bottom.**
** Hahahahahaha

Well, it turned out lovely in the end.

Jemsmom said...

My gosh woman!!! You and Deb need to write a book together. You are the two funniest humans I think I know!!!! I just read this out loud to my husband as I am laughing my head off! I have a pre lit tree because I HATE stringing lights. But... what is one to do when the lights start to go out in big chunks???? Oh, we string lights because we are too cheap to buy a new pre lit tree! I told the hubby that one more chunk goes and we are buying a new one!

Driving into the garage with the tree on top! Ha! I don't care who you are... that is funny stuff!!!

Crickit said...

Thank you for the GREAT laugh first thing this morning! I really enjoyed reading about your Christmas Traditions.... ha ha ha! In the end though, what a beautiful Christmas Tree. Well done!!

corners of my life said...

I love the first photo with that pop of red in the middle of all those trees. What a fun day - traditions are so important.