Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Valiant Effort

It’s that time of year again.  The time of year I have been preparing for so diligently.  I’ve had high hopes, I’ve pushed and cajoled and bribed and promised things like extra ice cream and late bedtimes and not killing anyone.

And yet, I’m still not ready.

So here you go…my Christmas card rejects:

2010_0605trackmeet0039

Nice.  But Ben’s rub-on tattoo and Popeye smile are distracting.

2010_0808obx10128

It looks like I don’t feed Jack.   And now Maddie looks like Popeye.  And this was the only photo I took of all three children at the beach.  The only one.

2010_0819lititz0039

Okay, this was a good idea, but none of the 15 photos I snapped turned out any better than this one.  Jack looks like he’s ready to cry.  Probably because I kept shouting, “Smile!  If you people would just cooperate we could be finished and you could go play in the creek again!”

Then someone pushed someone and…I gave up.

2010_0819lititz0052

2010_0819lititz0163

If only Jack had been looking up!

So…a wedding, surely there would be thousands of photo opps there, right?  But the only time all three kids were together was while heading into the reception.  In front of the brick wall. 

2010_0912davejamaewedding0201

Nice.  But it’s a brick wall.

2010_0912davejamaewedding0204

 

2010_1025pumpkincarving0035

So.  Too pumpkin-y for a Christmas card?

Of course, I always have this to fall back on…

2010_1120funnyface0048

Maybe this will be the year for something entirely different on the Christmas card.  Something like…

2010_0321wkendoutside0064

…or possibly…

IMG_0023

…or maybe even…

2010_0502popsicle0051

“Hi and Merry Christmas!”

My last chance was Monday night.  Our neighborhood Santa (you can read about him here) joined us for our annual Neighborhood Christmas List and Candy Cane Exchange.  We practiced ahead of time.  I reminded them that as soon as they gave Santa their lists to turn and smile and they must not lose eye contact with the camera!  People would be waiting in line behind us, and time was limited.  We had to do it!  I got three pictures:

Too dark!

2010_1129santa0016

Too blurry!

2010_1129santa0018

Just right!

2010_1129santa0019

Except that Ben looks like Santa just goosed him.  And Jack was feeling very shy meeting Santa and he’s giving me his “I’m smiling because I have to” smile.  So I don’t know.

So, what do you think?  (And don’t tell me to go with the Funny Face one.  My mother would KILL me.)

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh great Beth- I see it doesn't get any easier getting group pictures even when they get older!! Love Ben's goosey face.

stephanie said...

I happen to love the kids dressed up and jumping in front of the brick wall. Every year I keeping saying I'm not sending out cards this year all because of the stress of getting this damn picture!! Maybe this will be the year!

Crickit said...

I loved this post! What a great idea to show us the Christmas card that never made it to the mailbox! Thanks for your humor... you made my day! Beautiful Family! :)

Deb said...

I've been waiting for this post, and you did not disappoint! You know, you could go with the no-goose but dark version with Santa and give it some Photoshop magic. But that's kind of boring. Maybe you need dress them all up in sort of clean clothes and tell them a fart joke, and get their natural giggly reaction. Or go with the Funny Face one. (Sorry Beth's Mom.)

Jemsmom said...

Ok. I like the one in front of the bricks, especially the jumping one. If you want to go Chrismassy then do the dark Santa one. Some of those pictures are so freaking hilarious! I love the one of them dressed up in underwear with a Goofy hat! Now THAT is funny stuff!!! You could dress them up in big robes and jewels and they could be the Three Wise Guys! You could dress them up like bikers, put them on a bike and by Christmas Angels. I saw this too and it was funny. The kids are wrapped in garland with Santa hats on and duct tape over their mouths. It said, Santa hat - $6, duct tape - $2, garland - $10, Silent Night - priceless!!!! That is all I got!!!

corners of my life said...

Have you ever seen the book Awkward Family Photos? You could write your own version.