Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Overheard

…from the backseat.

Ben:  Lumos!

Jack:  Mom!  Mom!  Do you spell ring  r-i-n-g?

Maddie:  …and then we each take turns saying our lines…

Ben:  Sectum Sempra!  Jack you are in pieces now!

Jack:  No, I’m not!  And mom, sing is s-i-n-g, right? 

Ben:  Yes you are!  Crucio!  Now you are in pain!

Jack:  Nooooo!  I! Am! Not!

Maddie:  …and I have to memorize this very long speech, it’s 4 paragraphs, and…

Ben:  Protego!  Avada Kedavra!  Protego!  Avada Kedavra!

Jack:  W-i-n-g is wing.  I-n-g! I-n-g!  Mom, give me another –ing word!  Mom!  Give me an –ing word!

Ben:  Expelliarmus!

Maddie:  I basically know it, if you can just listen to it, but if I miss a word…

Jack:  MOM!  An ING WORD!

Ben:  Silencio!  Mom!  I did the silencing curse on Jack!  Jack!  Now you can’t talk!  Silencio!

Jack:  Yes I can!  See!  Mom, I can still talk, right?

Maddie:  …you don’t have to stop me, it’s okay if it’s not word for word, as long as it still makes sense…

Ben:  Mom!  Here’s one for you!  Orchideous!  That makes flowers come out of my wand, just for you!  Now you say Accio Flowers  and they will come right to you!

Jack:  Mom!  An –ing word!  Oh, I know!  Sting is um, s- um –t-i-n-g!

Maddie: …I just have to, you know, say it confidently…

Ben:  Mom, what’s for supper? 

Jack:  Oh!  Eating!  That’s an ‘ing word!

Maddie:  ….but I’m really feeling nervous about it…

Ben:  Incendio!  Mom, if it’s something I don’t like, I’m going to say an Incendio curse and set it on fire, okay? 

Maddie:  Oh, and don’t forget we have to get my gift to exchange by next Thursday…

Ben:  Petrificus Totalus!  Jack, now you are a statue!  You can’t move!

Jack:  I am NOT a statue!  Stop it Ben!  Stoppitus!

Ben:  That’s not even a curse, is it Maddie?  Stoppitus isn’t even a curse, Jack just made it up, right Maddie?

Maddie: …she said we just have to go to the dollar store and get something there for like three to five dollars…

Jack:  Mom!  Give me another –ing word to spell!

 

[You have just enjoyed a tiny little 20 second peek at a drive that continued much in the same manner for about ten minutes.  I honestly should have stock in Tylenol or possibly I will make millions inventing a little bell jar type thing that comes down out of the minivan ceiling and surrounds the driver with a sound-proof glass and possibly dispenses Godiva chocolate via voice command].

2 comments:

Karen said...

That is my life. There may be no hope. My children are 14, 12 and 9 and they have talked over each other since they got their voices. I try to make it stop, but it doesn't. It doesn't ever stop. But I know someday my house will be silent, and my nice clean empty nester car will be quiet too, and that makes me sad. So on the days that I actually remember that I say bring it on.... on the other days I yell and scream.

Jen said...

I applaud you for listening to it for that long- The radio would've been turned up to tune them out or I would've just yelled"shut it!" sounds a little better than "shut up"